• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two questions regarding a new boat

Shorelunch

Question

Hello. I bought my first new 18' aluminum boat w/a 140 four-stroke over the weekend and have a few questions:

1. When/how do you register a boat in MN? I pick it up next week.

2. Has anyone ordered precut boat letters (for under $50) that they like?

3. What does a fuel/water seperator do? Is it necessary for this boat?

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

I can help you with your first two questions. The dealer will do the paperwork and you'll get a temporary tag like you do with a vehicle and about a week later the permanent registration with numbers will come. Yesterday I picked up my reg letters/numbers at a Fastsigns, about 28 bucks for one color 35 or so for two colors and they are really easy to put on. Each side of the boat comes in one piece so you don't have to put individual numbers on, took me five minutes tops and I'm not artistic.

License your boat at the same place you get your vehicle plates/stickers although I'd think that your dealer would have a temp registration. There's a place called Fastsigns (320-252-1667) in St. Cloud that will do one-color set for $24.99 with one-day turnaround. It's a pretty competitive market. I wouldn't be without the fuel/water seperator. It helps protect against condensation from the fuel tank reaching your motor. You see them on the pumps where you get gas, too.

shorelunch, I just bought a new boat from a dealer too. The dealer will take care of the registration with the state, you don't have to go into the dmv with a new boat from the dealer, it will come in the mail along with your trailer reg. permanent stamp. Sounds like I need a fuel/water separator though, I never had a problem the last five years without one but it makes sense.