• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Seul Reports?

Fish Head,

We always fish the different breaks between 14-18 ft. The reason for the 3/8 ounce jigs is the wind and current around the points and breaks we fish. A 1/4 ounce jig will make it extremely difficult to feel the bottom. Gold,Chartreuse, orange and white were the best colors this year.

We fished a half day at Scaler Lake near the falls (back corner of the lake were the stream comes in). This was some good fishing, however there is always quite a few boats in the narrow channel there. The best fishing for us came just north of the cabins.

Jeffyo45,

I do not remember what the cabin number was that we stayed in. Our cabin was a twelve person VIP directly behind the bait shop. Our groupd did not make it to Waupesi this year. The farthest we went north was Merritt Point. The point was great for fishing in the morning and later in the evenings. This is were we caught our big northerns at. Minnows definitely seemed to be the ticket, however leeches were also catching fish. After awhile we started to use some power bait because of laziness on always having to put on bait.

Fish Head,

If you would like a couple of fishing spots that we fish, give me an email and I can explain were to go. Over the years we have definetely found some areas that hold alot of fish along with some big ones. It should be very easy for people to catch 100 fish a day in these areas, our group is just to lazy to fish all day long. Good Luck to ya and let me know how it goes. You will definetely have fun if your in the right areas.

[This message has been edited by STILLNOFISH (edited 06-24-2004).]

Thanks for the info Jeff and Still!! I appreciate all the help I can get. This will be our first trip up to Lac Seul. I am taking my son for his 12th birthday, so it would be great to get on the fish.

Still, email me at [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Fish Head (edited 06-24-2004).]

As Still said the 3/8 oz. jigs are critical in most areas. They allow you to keep contact and feel the bottom at all times. You could get away with smaller jigs if you stayed out of the main flowage areas which had less current. We fished almost exclusively in the Wapesi Bay area and the water was very stained. I tried all different colors and they all seemed to catch fish. We stuck with green as that is what the guy who goes every year told me to do. I believe the smallmouth fishing is more in the southern part of the lake. If you are staying at Lac Seul Outpost I don't know if you will find any. The water temps were 59 the first day and had warmed to 62 on the second day only to dip to 60 the third day when it was windy, rainy and cold. We probably averaged (thanks to the last day) at least 50 fish per guy per day. My boat used mostly leeches while up there. The other two boats bought minnows each day and they went throught all of them with no problem. We bought minnows the last day and I used them while the other 2 in my boat used leeches. I definitely outfished them all though the 28"er came on a leech. We brought crawlers but nobody ever tried them. Surprisingly one boat found that bobber fishing worked really well right before sunset. The first day their trolling motor ran out of juice so they anchored on a point and hammered them so they did that each day with good results.

Still
We were in cabin 6 which is the one off by itself from the other cabins. We were in a white Triton with a 225 Honda 4 stroke. The other two boats were Lunds. One a big 2000 Fishermen with full windshield. The other a 16' Alaskan with 40 horse on it. We never really made it over by the other cabins to chat with the other groups. You may have heard one of our group got a hook in his finger and got a float plan ride back to Sioux Lookout.

[This message has been edited by jeffyo45 (edited 06-24-2004).]

[This message has been edited by jeffyo45 (edited 06-24-2004).]

Hi all!

I am trying to put together a 4 day trip to Lac Seul in the first part of August. Is this typically a good time to get some walleyes? Any info on spots/depths would be appreciated as we have never been there before. Also, is there one part of the lake that is better than the rest for catching walleyes. Any resort recommendations?

Thank You!

Fishinglund

Hey guys, I hear everyone talking about lac Seaul outposts. I'm thinking about trying to go there next year. Can someone give me an aproximation on the cost per person for a housekeeping package that includes renting one of their boats??
Thanks

Fish Head,

Are you still around? I apologize for not getting those spots to you, but I was on a business trip the past few days. Please let me know if you have not left yet and I will email you the info.

Muskybrian,

Go to lacseuloutposts.com and they will have the prices listed for you.

I will email the rest of you with some spots soon. I will first try and get ahold of Fish Head since I believe he is leaving today.

Just got back from Lac Seul this weekend. Wow, what a great trip! I tried Merritt point, Pecker point, and a couple other areas north. We caught fish, but we didn't kill them. Than we tried south near the 3 sisters reef area and just killed them. I’m sure there are tons of spots that hold fish there.... you just have to keep moving until you get on them. I think it was Jeffy that posted earlier that his hands were sore from handling so many fish. I can sure relate to that, my hands were so sore by the time we left it was hard to pack. My largest was 27 ½”, and each of us had several in the 20’s. My son caught 2 31” northerns off the dock on back to back casts.

I was surprised at how much we spent on minnows. $215 in 4 days is a lot of money to spend on minnows! Next year I will have to find a way to bring some salted minnows and bring in more gas purchased in the states.

We will be back there next year.

Still- I was gone by the time you posted. No problem, we had a blast!

Fish Head,

Its great to hear you had a good time. I apologize once again for being late. Some spots to try next year for those asking is the second point on the left hand side north of the camp. You head north like you do going to Merritt and are forced to head west. Once you turn west you will see two points on your left side. Go to the second point in 15 ft. This area holds many fish and some real nice walleyes. There is also a break directly across the point that holds many fish as well. Merritt point is another great place early and later evenings. This is probably the best place for huge walleye, musky and pike. It can be spotty at times, but is well worth giving a couple tries. Did you fish scaler lake at all? Were minnows the only bait you used. I agree that you go through alot of bait and it certainly is not cheap, I guess that is the price you pay to catch alot of fish. Our 31 inch last year came from the point directly across from the point i was talking about before. This point is located at the turn north once again when heading to merritt. In a nut shell for those who have been up their you do an S (left, right, left when heading north from the camp). These spots only have names we have given them over the years so a map does not help. Good luck to all and let us now how you do.

We didn't try Scaler Lake. I hear Scaler is good early in the year, but we just didn't get to it. The area you mentioned north of camp after doing an "S" is close to where I landed my 27 1/2".

Minnows are really the only bait we used. The cabin next to us was leaving one day so they gave us there left over salted minnows that I used one day. I also used some plastics a little in order to save the few last minnows for my 12 year old son. I caught nothing on bright colored plastics, but I did start catching some on darker colored toward the end of the trip.

In talking with other cabins, not everyone had the same luck we did. Fortunately we were able to find some large schools of active fish. We will be going back next year.

Fished Sen Bay the past week with excellent success! Lots of walleye's in under the slot, in the slot and over!! Myself in 5 full days of fishing caught at least 100 walleyes, northern's, and smallies (100 total). Our whole group as a whole did excellent.
Biggest fish:
Walleye: 26.5" lots of 20"plus fish
Pike: 41" several 27"+ fish
Smallie: 18" several 16" fish

First time up to Lac Suel, was nervous I wouldn't find fish. Mornings fish were on the break lines- 10-22 ft drifting in and out of this. The bigger eyes' came in 30+ ft.
Mid-day and evening, eye's were in 4ft of water and casting to them along the weeds. Pike and bass there as well.

LOTS of eyes caught that had pike holding on to them until the fish got close to the boat...then they let off. I think it happened 1 time each day for our group!

Went out of Hudson, Ontario- LSFL!!!

Our group of 6 fished from july 2 - 7. Fishing was very good. Slightly slower than last year. We had many fish in the 20 - 25" range. If there was good wind we found them in 8 - 12 foot and fishing was fast. We also found our bigger fish just out a little
deeper from those same areas, 15 - 20 foot.
We had 2 days with no wind and bright sun. On those days we did best in 22 -35 foot. We mainly used a 6 foot snell and a red or yellow bead with a big minnow. Our group ended up with twenty two 26" eyes, seventeen 27", four 28"eyes , three 29",two 29.5" and two 29.75" eyes. I was sad to leave, but I'll be back in the fall.

We stayed at Silver Water Wheel Lodge. It's located on the south central shore. Most of their guests do fully guided packages, but you can call and ask for an unguided package. We bring our own boats. I've never seen a resort owner so focused on catching big eyes.

[This message has been edited by musky1 (edited 07-11-2004).]