• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Seul Reports?

I will be heading up to Lac Seul Outposts next Thursday. I am also curious if anyone has been fishing there lately. I assume it is the same as every year, that being fantastic. Really looking forward to this trip, since last years was cut short due to the forest fire. Good luck on your trip.

Stayed at Lac Seul Outpost for the opener. Fishing was somewhat slower than normal (about 40 fish/day/guy) but the size was great. Largest was 29.5" with many in the 27" & 28" range. Struggled to catch fish small enough for shore lunch.

A guy from our party went back for Memorial Day weekend and said the numbers were great (about 100-125 fish/day/guy) but the size was down. Largets they caught was 26".

Hitting on jigs and minnows.

The Spook

I personally didn't make it down but some other guys in the party did. They didn't have any problems but they did say it looked like a war zone down there from all the damage last years fire did. They also said the walleyes were plentiful but the size was small. It seemed that the bigger fish were north of camp.

The Spook

I was on Lac Seul last week (6/2-6/5) staying at Mahkwa Lodge. Vaughan Lake which normally opens the second week in June (this year 6/6) has been delayed to 6/13. Which made a few people unhappy. It was my first time up so it didn't bother me.

I talked to people who had caught 50-60 walleyes a day in Aldous Bay (I don't have my map handy so the spelling may be wrong) in 2-4 feet of water using 1/3 of a minnow on a jig. For the most part people were fishing all over. When we arrived on 6/2 I talked to a couple of guys that had arrived a few days earlier and they said today (6/2) was the first day the fish were aggressive and 'turned on'.

The biggest female we got was 27.5".
Some of the males (20%) we caught had milk.

In my humble opinion I would say that it is ramping up and on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say it is between 7-8.

Good Luck,

Buck

I appreciate the feedback Zeraspooks. This will be my 7th straight year and 31st year for other members in our group to Lac Seul Outposts. Back then there was only camping allowed on some of the islands that Kenny owned. It sure is a nice resort and fabuluous place to fish.

Fish Head,

I will posts our results when I get back on the 23rd. Are you fishing out of Lac Seul Outposts, if so I will be able to help you with some places to fish if you would like. Good Luck to all.

For you guys that have been through the whole border crossing thing. Will they ask me for my birth certificate or some other proof of citizenship? I realize a drivers license isn't proof of citizenship but will that be sufficient? I have all my stuff in storage and have no way to get to it. What other things can I use as proof of citizenship and how can I obtain them?

Ok, here we go.

We left Saturday morning from Bemidji, Mn. After a long delay at the border, and another 3 hours up in Canada, we arrived at the Moosehorn Lodge. THIS PLACE IS THE BEST! great people.

I fished off the dock that night and caught 5 Walleyes right there, biggest was 17".

viewfile.cfm?files=canadamorn1%2EJPG

Sunday morning we headed out to the Frog Rapids area, caught a couple including a 25" by Lon in the other boat. They headed in but Myself and Cory stayed out till dark. Caught about 15, alot in the slot though (18-21)

So Monday morning came around, we ran into a guide who had an opening cause of a last minute cancel, thanks whoever you are. The Guides name is Collin, he works for Moosehorn. It was POURING and near 35 mph winds, but I was ready. After 2 stops, he had us on Eyes. During the day both boats had maybe 50 Eyes, biggest was my 23"

. So after a tough wet morning we set up for shore lunch. There was a interesting looking bay with alot of logs in it, so I tossed a Long cast Rapala into the area, first cast BANG. 36 1/2" Pike viewfile.cfm?files=36pike1a%2Ejpg

Slot is 28-36 but I let er go. Went back, maybe 2 casts later BANG another which I never seen, was taking drag like the first. Got wound up in that log jam . Tried but couldnt get at it.
Here is another nice pike caught earlier. viewfile.cfm?files=27pike2a%2Ejpg

After lunch, the fun began. Going for Eyes We all seen this 42" Pike come up to the boat and NAIL the jig Cory was reeling in. Very cool! After a long fight we got it, and of course released it.
viewfile.cfm?files=42pike1%2EJPG

An Hour later the 43 came on a spoon, had a huge cut on the back from a prop ot another fish?! Here is Lons big fish. viewfile.cfm?files=43pike5%2EJPG

Awesome time, I went out looking for a Laker that night, was marking tons of fish in 50' of water, Im thinking cool. WALLEYE! viewfile.cfm?files=23eye2a%2Ejpg The darkest ones Ive seen. Anyways, awesome trip .

[This message has been edited by Chad711 (edited 06-10-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Chad711 (edited 06-10-2004).]

Jeffy,
On our trip, going into Canada (Intl. Falls) on a Wednesday afternoon about Noon she just asked if we all had IDs to which I said yes and she went on with the other questions.
Coming into Minnesota (Intl. Falls) on a Sunday about Noon he asked for a picture ID and one of our guys asked if he wanted a birth certificate and he said he preferred a picture ID like a drivers license.

From what I understand, only a Passport or birth certificate is accepted although we were not asked for either.

Buck

Thanks Buck Snort

I don't know if it was devine intervention but my wife brought the safe to the apartment that had my birth certificate in it. Rather be safe than sorry. I wasn't looking forward to tearing the storage unit apart this weekend.

Nice Pics Chad711

What general areas (cover, depth) were those big northern hanging out in (if you're willing to divulge that info.). When you say spoons are you talking Dare Devils, jaw breakers? Most of the people in my group want to go exclusively for walleye but I am bringing the muskie rod in hopes of hooking up with a 40+" nort or muskie. That would dwarf my personal best of 32"s.

Is it Tuesday morning yet?

[This message has been edited by jeffyo45 (edited 06-11-2004).]

The Big Boy was caught on I believe, a red/orange spoon. Mine were on a long cast rap, and the 42 was on a jig and minnow. as far as where, email me I can hook you up. But I am leaving for Wisconsin in the morning and wont be back till late sunday.

Chad.

[This message has been edited by Chad711 (edited 06-12-2004).]

Had some friends get back from Lac Seul Outposts on Monday. They said the fishing was fantastic with many 3-6# walleyes. They averaged around 75-100 walleyes per person, per day. The largest was 27 inches along with a 19 pound pike. The usual jig and minnow or leech is what they used the entire time. We leave tomorrow morning for lac seul. Good Luck to all.

I got back on Saturday from Lac Seul Outpost. We had good fishing. First two days were better suited for sun tanning than Walleye fishing but we managed enough to make it worth it. The last day we had 3 foot rollers and absolutely hammered em. My hands still hurt from handling all those fish. I will give a more detailed report when I get back from Kansas City on Thursday. For anyone who may have been up there last week we were the ones in the Triton with the 225hp on it. My face is slightly wind burned from how fast that thing is. I wish it was mine.

Just got back from Lac Seul Outposts yesterday. Once again a great year of fishing. The average was about 70 fish per person, per day. I can't emphasize enough to bring the 3/8 ounce jigs and buy the minnows up there. Leeches were O.k but the minnow out produced by a very good margin. DO NOT BRING CRAWLERS. A group from wisconsin found that they do not work nearly as well around this part of the lake. The biggest walleye was 27 inches with many in the 3-6 pound range. We were able to catch a 40 and 42 inch northern while jigging for walleyes with six pound test, that was a hoot. Good luck to all.

Jeffyo45 I am trying to figure out if I saw that boat up there. We were at the resort Friday morning. I had a 17 blue Mr. Pike with a 130 yamaha. Were you still there? It sounds like you had great fishing as well. The weather did not always want to cooperate with us, but atleast the fish were biting.

Sounds like a great trip Still! I will be heading up there on Monday.

I'm wondering how deep you were catching the walleyes. You said to bring many 3/8 oz jigs, therefore I'm thinking you must have been over 20+ft deep? Also, what were the water temps?

Fish Head