• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cats on the Red

Any reports from Lockport/Selkirk yet? How about Cats anywhere on the Red River? Is it just me, or are catfishermen the quietest bunch? I guess wierd fish require....ahh forget it. tongue.gif

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hemlock, check the Catfish Forum! There are 3 recent threads going right now about Lockport catfishing. I was up at Cats on the Red a few weeks ago & had a blast! The cats are biting great. I can't wait to get back up there. Vern

Hey Hemlock, Vern best describes it!
You'll find all the latest on the Red (both sides of the border) by scrolling down to the catfish board!
In a nutshell the action has been non-stop here on the lower Red and I predict that the action will remain fast the some time to come!

Fish "Hard" Forever!

Hemlock, Fishing on the red is slow right now but give it a couple of weeks and it will turn around fast. How has the fishing been up at the narrows. Were heading up to do some bass fishing this weekend and hope to get into them.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of that thread.

Fishing at Sioux Narrows has been excellent. The lakers have started their decent and I'll leave them be till January. Smallies, Crappie and Walleye have all been "excellent". I have never heard so many people talk about how good of a spring we've had as far as fishing. I'll be up in a couple of weeks for two weeks and will get in a whole lot of fishing time. Good fishin'....

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hemlock; I would have to disagree with that comment that cats are slow on the red right now. I would say the opposite, especially at Lockport. If 13 cats (all over 34" on Friday night) in just under 4 hrs by two rods is slow, I will take slow any time. Yes, I did notice guys having a struggle getting fish but then they seemed to refuse to move. On Sat morning again 4 hrs, 1-38", 4-36" and 2- 35 1/2" with 7 others ranging from 29" to 35". Also got a 28" Freshwater Drum (10.8 lbs) and several others in the 24" range. I will take that slow anytime. Kept my bait fresh (goldeyes) and moved if it went dead over 20 minutes.

Hey Canuck, how have things been up there. I'm hoping to make it up after the Cats Incredible but I'll have to wait and see. Fishing around the GF is slow right now but should be improving within a week at least I hope. Talk to you later.

ibwhnt: They sure where great guys. I am sure it wasn't for their knowledge of fishing cats that Stu would have beat us., Stu had a lady that never fished before and we beat them only by about 50 cm. The 4th place team was down about 600 cm short of though.

It was a great surprise for me when I found out that I had talked with Scott and Brad on various cats lines before. It is great to finally meet guys face to face and get to fish with them. Give a shout when U make it up to Lockport.

It would be nice if they could get something like that going in the Grand Forks area as it would be great for the kids.

Stu and I talked about coming donw for one of you weekly fishing tourneys but time never seems to let us get away.

Canuck did you get my email about trailering 2 rigs behind one truck in Canada?

Big bud and I are wondering if it is OK in Canada, or if we need a special permit in MB to pull 2 boats behind one truck?

Thought you just may have the scoop or know where to get that info?

Thanks Canuck,

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

Eddy< I emailed you through your HSOforum but I guess I messed up somehow.

In Manitoba you can only tow one unit at a time. You probably get messed up when you see a 5th wheel towing a boat in Manitoba, well, they claim a truck and 5th wheel is one unit therefore they can tow a boat behind a 5th wheel. Yeha that doesn't make sense to me either. Sorry, the best I know unless U get a special permit,and that is like major paper work, you wont be able to tow 2 boats with one truck. Just make two separate trips, you only live 3 hrs south of us.

Eddy: Last Sunday I messed up on the Red. We were just north of the spillway about 40yds from the east shore. One of the guys I had hooked into something. This fish would go left then right and upstream and would strip line, (25 Big Game) then just stop. IT went rather slow but went where ever IT wanted to. After about 20 min IT just let go. I wasn't watching the tip of the guys rod so am not sure if he dropped it alittle too fast and IT got some slack or it just pulled out. The strength of this thing was like I havn't sent before so kind of think it must have been a sturgeon. Now I think I should have got the guy to have been alittle easier and pulled anchor but that is fishing.

I couldn't go last week sturgeon fishing so didn't have any reports. We are hopefully doing a night sturgeon nite trip with
Stu and two other guys who guide for Stu on Tues nite. You know, one must play sometimes too.

Ya, that sounds like a big old sturgie?

I suspect a few of them big lake roamers are in snorkeling about. I had one fish on that did just about the same, went wherever it wished then spooled me when it was ready to roam. Never seen as much as a swirl, stayed on bottom all the time.

Been trying to get back up your way soon. See what this week brings, maybe then?

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"