• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing

On my last 6-8 trips I have been asked for my drivers license, registration & insurance cards, and a copy of my birth certificate as a second ID.

If you wish the scoop on Canadian Customs and Emigration regulations check out this link.

www.travelmanitoba.com

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 07-01-2003).]

Just got back from Canada. Did not have any problems crossing into Canada or coming back. Took the advice of several messages had my drivers license and birth certificate ready and did not give the Canadian officials any grief or problems and I was through in 5 minutes. A few simple questions and it was very painless. If you are going through just be respectful and have everything ready for the border officals to inspect and you should have no problems as well

In summary one who is crossing the border in International Falls should:

1. Have a copy of their drivers license and birth certificate/passport.
2. Proof of Insurance for vechicle
3. Bring Registration (vechicle title?)
4. NOT bring potatoes or any firearms!!!

Am I missing anything?

What are the duties on beer/liquor? Are you better off just buying some at the duty free store at the border? Any advice on the beer/liquor situation would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely buy beer at tax free. I believe duty is around 25%. Haven't paid duty in a while. Usually just take up the aloted 1 case or 1 litre. If I run out I know where they sell it up there.
Last time up we paid $13 US for a case of good beer. Not a bad price, even if you do have to pay duty on extra.

Does anyone know about the following.

My wife when she was younger (within 10 years ago) was busted for the following offenses in the state of Iowa. Does anyone know if she will have difficulty getting across and what will she need to help get across. We leave Friday August 8. Please help ASAP thanks.

1. Zero tolerance
2. 2 possesion and consumption as a minor
3. open container

Any help will be great!!!!

My wife and me crossed last month and they didn't ask her a question. If your clean shaven with a neat hairstyle and you look like fisherman, answer the normal questions politely and honestly and give them no reason to believe otherwise, you will not be delayed.

"Clean shaven with a neat hairstyle and look like a fisherman" does not guarantee you are getting across without a hassle. We do that every year, for obvious reasons. Two years ago we were stopped on Saturday morning and the entire process took almost 4 hours after waiting through all the B.S....Usually everything is fine, but not always

Does anyone know if it is okay to transport gas across the border? We are looking to bring 3 (5 gallon) plastic containers of gas into Canada if allowed.

Also, I understand that potatoes are a no-no. Is it okay to bring eggs, ham, brats, lunchmeat, bacon etc.? Or better to buy in Canada.

It is OK to bring gas into Canada. I don't know what the limit is but I take 12 gallons accross most every time I go up. Wouldn't be a bad idea to call customs and ask.

NO POTATOES!!!! The ban on US potaotes is still in effect. Haven't been asked if we had potaotes the last couple times but did see a group dumping theirs back state side. I would just buy them when you get up. Most of the grocery stores are well stocked on the CA side. As for the other products you mentioned they are ok to take accross. The only thing is the US Customs are still being a little specific bringing meat back into the States. I just make sure i eat well so there isn't anything to bring back.

Good luck and have fun.

In 1998 we went to Lake of the Woods. We were stopped at the border going into Canada and searched. While on the water the MNR came along side and searched us there. Then at the border going out the US customs searched us again. I think we got several years worth of being searched over in that one week. Good thing we were all legal.

------------------
Be fishers of People
You catch, He Cleans

I think one could safely say, you never know what you are going to get when you pull up to that window (or telephone in some cases).

All one can do is have common sense, don't try anything that will put you in a bad situation, and be courteous and on topic. (don't ramble when they ask you a simple yes/no question).

Oh, and clean shaven, cap tipped back, radio off, sunglasses off, documents ready, helps too!

These would be my words of wisdom, having been a border jumper for the last 8 years.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

We went up last week. Going into Canada we were only asked the typical questions, where, what, when, alcohol, etc. One thing that surprised us was that we were over our limit of alcohol, and told them what we had, and we didn't have to pay duty. Strange, but figured it would be better to be honest than not, and get caught. The way back in was a whole different story. Traffic was backed up at least a mile or better into Fort Frances, stopped and searched at the first check point, lost a pack of lunch meat that we bought in Canada, because it had beef in it, they searched the coolers and stuff in the back, albeit pretty briefly, and then the next set of guys were checking VIN numbers on the dash and door to make sure they were the same. Anyway, didn't have to show bc's dl's or anything.

I too crossed with over the limit of beer. We were going on a fly-in for the week and I had 3 cases. I thought that maybe since it was Sunday she gave us a break, but maybe there's a new limit before duty?

Craig

What is the limit on alcohol to bring across the border? Is there a limit on tobacco products as well? I do enjoy a good cigar with a cocktail in the evening plus maybe a little between the cheeck and gum in the boat. Thanks in advance

WW

Wave Wacker,

1 bottle (1.14 oz) of hard liquor
or
1 case of beer (25-12oz containers)
or
2 bottles of wine (avg size bottle)
and
1 carton of cigarettes
or
1 log of chew

not sure on cigars. The numbers/amounts quoted are for each person over 18 in the vehicle.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"