• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water Levels

Hawks, I'm probably not much help, but it's dry in NW Ontario. I'm not sure of where Birch Lake, etc. is, but LOTW is down a good 3' from where it should be. Fire restrictions and all that good stuff too. That means no shore lunch fires too, but hopefully that'll get lifted soon.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hawks, I will let you know in about two weeks. Our trip is Saturday the 31st. We are using Green's, going to their outpost cabin on Birch.

Hemlock, these lakes are about 70 miles northeast of Red Lake Ont.

Any recommendations on some lake trout lures. I caught my first and only laker last year and that was by accident.

Thanks Hemlock! Birch Lake is about 100 miles straight north of Dryden.

Sounds like we may have some low water levels for our trip this year.

Hawks; Just got an e-mail from Greens. Last year the walkway from the plane dock to the shore was under about 6" of water. They said it was dry this year so the water level is probably down about a foot from last year. Four days till we leave and I'm already packed. Later.

10 of us just got back an hour ago. Fishing was the best it's been in the 12 years I've been going out of Red Lake!

Birch Lake was close to 24 inches down.
The fish were all big, 20 to 27 inch walleye were the run of the mill. Filling out our licence was somewhat difficult because we couldn't find under 18" walleye.

We used any kind of soft plastic or rattle traps and they would hit.

51 weeks till next trip.

Finns,

Thanks for the water level report. I made it up for a last minute trip last week to Fawcett Lake(25 miles east of Birch). Water levels here were way down. All rapids were down to a trickle and new rocks were everywhere to be found. Like you, our fishing was excellent. Not great size on this lake but numbers were plentiful. Pike were extremely aggressive. Small walleye were often in trouble once the were hooked as the pike constantly grabbed them (pretty fun).

Base camp for our outfitter is Lake Minitaki. Water levels there were very low (estimated to be down 6 feet). I was amazed at how different the lake looked from the year before.

I am heading back up July 7 to Springpole Lake (near Birch). Hopefully the monsters will be active like they were for you!

Thanks for the update!