• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eh Stu whats the latest?

Stu can you give us an update on the lower Red River and the outlook for the Manitoba opener please.

Feel free to sneak in a couple of them trademark methods of yours that work so well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tell ya folks, NOBODY knows the Red River & ><sUMo> ><kitty's> better then the "King of the Red". That be Stu McKay...."Da-Sumo-King"...Yupper!

Thanks Ed your far too kind!

As far as the Red is concerned and our opener this coming Saturday......well lets just say that the river is in great shape and those [me]'s are going to be bust'n up some tackle. The dam was all locked down about two weeks ago therefore there'll be tons of action directly below it.
For those that enjoy fast action cork'n for
sumo's the conditions couldn't be better!!!
For those that just what to feel the power of a twenty pound catfish in strong flows two - three onces of sliding lead should do the trick.
Suckers and or goldeye will be the bait of choice and keep in mind that the fresher the bait means a lot more hook-ups. Don't forget to throw a bag of shrimp in the bait bucket as well, it can be a great back-up bait.

One more note of interest; there will probably be some reasonable walleye action for the first week of the season. The best stretch of the river to try would have to north towards Lake Winnipeg. Jigs tipped with minnows should do the trick.

Fish "Hard" forever!

Stu McKay

COOL!

The thought of all them Piggy's ready to rock is making me drool.

MMMMMMMM...piggys!
homerdrool.gif

See, now look what ya done, my t-shirt is wetter then cotton panties on prom night.

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-06-2003).]

Eddy; helped Stu put in the remainder of his docks tonight. They are ALL in now and ready to roll. For your info and drool, the Pelicans were stacked up where you were corking last Aug. can you imagine what they are there for??????? Ha Ha. There still is that little rock outcrop that will be holding the feeding cats. Don't drool too much, we will be kind to you and give them some exercise, the least we can do for U....

Sure...keep it up Canuck, you may see us yet this weekend!

Big Shanon just got a new boat, a sweet Lund Pro-V SE with a 115 4-stroker, and new boat toys from Vexilar. Match's his new Ford too. Some guys get all the cool toys Eh? Working for John Deere must pay A-LOT better then being a guide is all I have to say...yup-yup? wink.gif

What is new with Lund this season is the no skid vinyl floor with the snap-in/snap-out carpet option, Shanon opted for that.

snap_1.jpgsnap_2.jpgsnap_3.jpg

A very cool option for the occasional river angler or anyone who may want to limit slop. I do not like carpet in a river rig but this is a very smart option in my book.

We will have to chat before we come up. See if you boys need anything from stateside that I can help-ya out with.

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-09-2003).]

Howdy Stu. Any forcast for the opener? Raining here all week end. sounds like maybe the rain is not going that far north?

By the way, I can not access your web site Stu. Cant find server??? Hope to see you this weekend if the weather holds out.

Here is a link to the weather eh.

http://msnbc.com/news/wea_front.asp?ta=y
canadasat_720x486.jpg

I won't make it up this weekend as I am guiding locality on Saturday and have family plans on Sunday. So you folks will need to say Howdy to them Piggy's for me.

Stu you better post a piggy on the site just to make sure I do not dry up my drool before the 27th of May.

grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-09-2003).]

I made a new floor for my Lund this year and put in their vinyl floor as I got tired of strubbing the cat slim off the carpet.

Weather forcast is +9 C and a 40% chance of rain in the morning. The wind is to be from the northeast 20KM with gusts to 40 KM. The wind shouldn't be a problem and the amount of rain isn't suppose to be that heavy if any. I am sure there will be lots of boats on the Red.

Spoke to Obbie and Mark and they are up until Tuesday so we will diffently have updates for you.

I spotted a few defiant river rigs headed North last night. A large cab-over Duckworth, a 1872 RiverPro, and a darn good sized Sea-Ark (22' maybe), all filling up and headed your way Eh.

If I was not guiding today, I sure would of joined them too.

~Sigh~ Not today I guess........but Soon!

wink.gif

I hope to bust a few Piggy's here today, the bite has been good.

Stay dry and catch a piggy-er-two for me boys!

And besides Canuck...
get_file.html?mid=164

grin.gif

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
get_file.html?mid=129
Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-10-2003).]

Eddy, I am just headed out for the greenbacks with the inlaws and wife but I am going to have U over when U get up to show me how U get those great pictures.

Have fun and we will exchange lies, no fishing stories later tonight.

Jim.

The north winds came a blowing this morning 40KM with gusts to 60 KM. We could not even think of fishing for greenbacks where we usually do. My wife and I were the only ones who attempted to fish the area but the winds were too strong. Tried for a couple of hours looking for some shelter but no luck. Stopped at Cats on the Red and the guys were bustin the Kitties, 15 to 20 in 4 hrs for 2 guys was the norm. The wind was not as bad up by the dam. The cats were hungry and there were only about 6 boats out braving the winds. The winds are to keep up on Sunday but the temps are warming up and winds dying down on Monday. Hope you all down south had better weather that we in Manitoba.

I'm fired up now after reading your cat reports! We're driving up from Mpls. on Friday morning. Sounds like the bite is on & the conditions are good. We booked a cabin at Stu's place for Friday & Saturday. Are the goldeyes biting at all? I plan on bringing up some cut-bait, but I might bring a lot more if the goldeyes aren't going. Also, is there anywhere in town where we can watch the Wild game on Friday? My brothers are hockey fanatics & I thought that that would be fun after some sumo piggy wrestling. Anywhere in Lockport or maybe a bar in Selkirk that might play the game. Thanks, Vern

Vern; apparently the goldeyes are up by the dam. Check out the west pillar. Gaffers in Lockport has a bar and should have the game on. I know Oppie and the boys were watching the game in their room at Stu's on Saturday. See U this weekend. The wind blew all Sat nite and all day today. It is starting to settle down alittle now. It is suppose to be nice all week. We are going to give the kitties a shot tomorrow to get the rust off the reels.

Thanks a lot Canuck! Sounds like the weather should be good this weekend. I can't wait for some monster cat action. Let me know how you do tomorrow, I'd love to hear the report. By the way, are there any rental boats available this weekend? I'm bringing my jonboat, but I have a couple friends that might make the trip if they can rent a boat. Stu? Thanks, Vern

Stu & Canuck have you tried them Angel Eye JR's I on the Goldeye yet?

As soon as the shiners are near or at the dams them Goldeye will be suckers for a Gold Angel Eye JR tipped with hunk-a-chunka-worm or a salty.

Man do I ever catch a ton of Goldeye on them buggers!

I may be able to bring some up again this season if you wish. I fed a few to big Kitty's last year while trying to hook up on Goldeye, with 4# test it was a short fight Eh.
angel_eye_spoons.gif
I may try the Original Angel Eye Spoon in the larger model rigged with a slightly modified 7 O/T Kahle hook on them Piggy's this time out? I think under the right conditions, and rigged corretly, them surfing sumo's will bust them spoons very eagerly.

~KA-SPLOOOOOSH~...We~We~We~...yup.yup.yup!

scenic-angel-eye-minnow.jpg

This time Eh..Maybe Without the ultralight tackle.

wink.gif

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
get_file.html?mid=129
Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-12-2003).]

Vern: I know Stu has all the rental boats in the water but have NO idea if they are rented this weekend. I would sugguest U give him a call or email.

I am going to try those little lures for goldeyes this afternoon in an attempt to get some fresh bait for this evening. I will let U know how they work.

Vern: Sugguest U bring enough bait up for the time U are going to fish and oh yes double that amount as the piggies are hungry. I tried to get some goldeyes this afternoon but had NO luck. They should be around but do U want to waste your time fishing for goldeyes when the kitties are hungry????

Our little fun derby tonight went from 4:30 til 6:30 and OH yes the title stays in good old Canada. Final tally for Stu and I were 12 but Oppie and the boys think we shouldn't count the last one as it was hooked at 6:30 and not landed until about 6:35 but even with that we showed them were the catters are. We lost at least 12 others because they are hitting very short. We tried up by the dam but only got one there and moved north about 200 yds south of the landing and out about 1/3rd the way in the main current. 4 sets of double headers. Oh yes, make sure U use enough weight to keep your bait on the bottom, at least 3 oz, the water may be low but the flow is strong. See U this weekend, sorry Eddy.

Thanks for the great info Canuck. I guess I'll be out catching suckers the next couple of nights. I want to try some corkin' this year. I haven't done that yet, but that shallow corkin' action sounds like a blast. Vern

Yup, the Goldeye were tough to catch here too yesterday. Good thing I had a few on hand.

The water temp went from near 60 to back down to 52 after the rains. Slowed the bite here a lot.

Peckers galore, slow day here.