• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border crossing

WallEYES,
Would they refuse to let you through if you did not have your certificate on you? My girlfriend would have to drive 3 hours to go and get hers and just wondering if its a must to have. Would suck to drive 4 hours and have to turn around and come home!

I had my two boys with me. I am divorced and had to show mine, my two kids, and a note from their mother stating it was alright that they were going with me. I also got checked a few years ago by a border guard that just started working there. My advice is to bring it with you, because it won't hurt.

I called the immigration office and they said all you need is one valid form of ID (drivers license, birth certificate, social security card). A second valid form of ID may be requested if something comes up. For my sister, who does not have a drivers license yet, she must have permission from the parents and her birth certificate.

Scoot try this link and jump to customs from there.

www.travelmanitoba.com

You get the scoop on all you will need and what you should have for documentation.

~NOTE~

(If you have had a DWI/DUI, drug charge, domestic violence, or a gun related charge expect complications. Some are a easy fix if you get the documentation ahead of time. While others you will not be granted entry to Canada.)

www.travelmanitoba.com/visitorinfo/custom_regs.html

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-06-2003).]

I think the number I was given for the immigration office was (807) 964-2095. Everyone in our party is good to go so I hope we don't have any complications.

Granny, even though you were told by one Customs office, I wouldn't trust that answer. I cross 1-2 times a month and never had to provide much more than a drivers license prior to September of 2001. Now, they are occasionally asking for a birth certificate, especially when asked what our citizenship is. There aren't many documents that prove citizenship other than a b.c. Maybe I'm in a different boat since I'm CDN and my wife and child are US, and this maybe raises an eyebrow...Just would hate to have you guys turned back on a technicality like this. Good luck.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

It is my understanding that the birth certificate is needed more for "getting back into the US". Last spring coming back from Eagle Lake at International Falls, we were asked to show proof of citizenship. we satisfied the Border Guard with our birth certificates.

------------------
(email)[email protected](/email)

We are going in June, and I was told my passport & drivers license was all that I needed. My question: If I am still married, do I still need a letter from my wife to bring my daughter?

WallEYES,

I was starting to wonder if you had a little Canuck blood in you, the way you know and talk Canada up. What's your story, where are you from, did you marry an American?

As far as passport, drivers license, birth certificate. Bring what you can. You can't go wrong with bringing it all.

In regards to bringing your own daughter, I can't imagine it being a problem, but with US/Canada Customs, you never can be too sure. Have the wife write up a note. Cheap insurance for a great trip.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

On the way up we had our van searched but a form of ID was never requested. And on the way home they asked where we went, how the fishing was, and if we brought any back. We were never asked for ID either way! Maybe it was just by chance we didn't get checked but isn't that a little strange?

Granny -

No, not really. More often than not, just a couple of questions and they send us on our way.

Going into Canada in March, they invited us inside while they took out IDs to another room. 10 minutes later the agent came out and wished us a good time.

Coming back in, a quick check of my plates and drivers license took all of 20 seconds.