• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where in Canada are you staying?

Hemlock; I have been fishing Ontario waters since the 1960's, Lake Trout is the only thing we fish for. The most often lakes fished have been Whitefish Bay, LOW, Rowan, Upper Manitou, and Stormy. Whitefish Bay and Rowan have been our best fishing in the later years although Stormy was hot in the late 60's & early 70's. I'll be at your facility this Friday at 12:30 PM, if you are working hope to get to meet you.

Hemlock; I forgot to say that we are planning a trip to Sioux Narrows May 17-21, hope to be staying at Crawfords Resort, but have not confirmed a reservation yet.

------------------
Keep a tight line,
Kingfisher

This year we are going to Eagle Lake - staying at Vermillion Bay Lodge. In the years past we have fished a little north of Nestor Falls on Lake of the Woods. We fished a lot in Stoney Bay and up in Stevens Bay. We have always gone in may and have not caught a lot of walleyes in past years. Therefore this year moving up on Eagle Lake. Have heard good things about the lake (walleye) and good things about Vermillion Bay Lodge. One fish we caught a lot of in Stoney Bay was muskie. Lots of them!

I'm going to try to get up to the Red River at Lockport sometime next month for the monster cats. I'll probably book a spot at Cats on the Red or a campsite in Selkirk. I've made the trip from Mpls. twice now & caught lots of 20+ lb channel cats. I can't wait to get up there again! Vern

For those of you who are planning a trip up to Canada this fishing season, where are you staying?

Please include lake, species fished for, years past success, etc. If anyone is in my neck of the woods, I'd be glad to meet up with you for a day of fishing or even just to meet some of you guys in person.

I spend my time in the Sioux Narrows area on Lake of the Woods. Let's hear from ya!

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

I'm glad to see this thread is getting some hits. Glad to see you aren't all boycotting Canada. (Let's not even get into that)

Kingfisher, we are not going to hit on Friday unfortunately. I'm off at 0600 and will be headed up to LOTW for the weekend, visiting family, and one last ice fish. One of these days we'll cross paths. Crawford's is a nice place. I used to work there. Bob and Millie should/might remember me. Their son Matt will for sure.

Paul, sounds like you are in for some fun on the houseboat and yellowgirl. We head up to yellowgirl to do our walleye fishing all the time, and I don't think I've ever had a poor trip. Especially August.

Keep the posts coming! Take care.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hemlock! We plan on staying around oak island in search of some lake trout. Any advice on locations or water types that might help. I heard there was a lake trout caught South of Oak Island I think I am going to start there and work south to Warroad!!

Ditto on Vermilion bay Lodge, Vermilion Bay, Eagle Lake, ON, between Kenora and Dryden. Species: Lake Trout, walleye, pike, smallies, muskies maybe

Hope to have my MN-Fish buddy Vipor bless me with a "scouting" report, we go two weeks after him, on June 15. Good Luck fishin' buds!

Just got back from a weekend in Kenora, ON. Ice was burning up quickly in town, but still plenty of four wheeler action heading out each day. I think it's going to be a while yet,my guess is May 10 for all ice to be off the lake. Plenty of open water in current areas around Kenora. I couldn't beleieve how few boats were in that water though. Total of 2 fishing, and 1 kayak!?

JZ, good luck for lakers on the south side. Let me know presentations, etc.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hey Hemlock,

My wife and I are headed up on the weekend of June 14th but can't get into our cabin at Vermilion Bay until 3 PM on Sunday the 15th. My plan is to avoid the rush and cross the border fairly early on Sunday, if not Saturday afternoon and we are tossing around ideas of what to do, souv.shop or fishing. Hmmm.... Just wondered what your are up to that weekend, maybe we could get together. Let me know what you think. We will be renting a boat at Vermilion Bay so we won't have a boat with us. Not trying to horn in on your action but hey if we can get some more fishing in, what's better than that!

JZ:

Honestly, you won't find any lake trout anywhere near Oak Island, or especially further south.

In the angle area you have to head north to zigzag island, echo bay, clear water bay etc to find trout. Or head east over to whitefish bay area.

You will search forever around the Angle and not find any trout. I've fished the area for 25yrs plus. Excellent for other species though.

TomBow,

I am actually working those dates you stated earlier, otherwise I would've loved to hook up for fishing, socializing. I might have a solution for you though. The wife can go gift shopping (I know a great store, my brother is the owner smile.gif Anyways, boat rentals are available in Kenora for half day/full day rentals and I would suggest you fish, get all the bugs out of your system fishing wise, and let her enjoy a day in the city shopping around. After Kenora, there won't be much more shopping. I think there are a couple gift shops in V-Bay. It's a do-able option as I see it.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Towbow you will for sure get a report from me after the trip to Canada. Am sure we'll be all over the north part of that lake - 7 days - 12 hours a day for sure! I'll let you know where's hot and whats not when I return.

Widetrack,

Believe it or not, an Indian guide was netting this winter in CDN waters near Oak and he had some lakers up on the ice. They are there. I have a place in Whitefish, so I won't waste my time there, but if I lived on Oak, like JZ, I might give it a whirl. I think he was joking about working his way south to Warroad. Do you have any trout plans for Sioux Narrows area this summer?

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hemlock:

Ok, I thought he was serious about trout fishing the area... It's hard for me to fathom that there are any trout to be had in the tanic water of the Angle area, but who knows.

I don't have any plans on fishing the east side made. I pretty much stick to the West side of the lake, I have a place on Buffalo point, and a small fish camp up in the Angle.
They keep me pretty busy.

Tombow,

Yes, I was referring to renting in Kenora.; Canadian Tire is located right on the water and they have 16'ers for rent. The nice thing about Kenora is, there are plenty of docks located near someone's business. Good fishing is also close by. Good to hear the wife is trying to get involved. I'm of two minds on this, personally. One side of me wants her to come out and spend some of my most enjoyable time with me, the other side tells me it's good to get away and have some alone/guy time. We're young, we've got time to figure out our options. I hope your trip is a memorable one, none the less.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Where do I go when I vacation in Canada, one spot and one lodge is my top pick. That is "Cats on the Red" at Lockport MB in Manitoba Canada. tile1.gif

Stu McKay and his family do a great job making you feel at home. Very nice cabins that will sleep 4 or more easily with room to spare. A very nice view of the top channel cat fishery and walleye fishery in the world today, right from the deck. Nice launch and dock. Top guides if you wish a guide.

You also have lots of big city frills and thrills just 20 min off in Winnipeg. Stuff for all ages and interests just around the corner.

The best part is, the fishing, OH MAn, is there ever fish up there!

I highly recommend you consider a trip to Cats on the Red. I will be there several times this season, you can count on that Eh!

Drop Stu a call and/or visit his very cool web site for more complete details.

www.catsonthered.com
(204)-757-9876

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-27-2003).]

I agree Eddy. I'm going to try to get up there in late May for some monster cats. It's a long drive from Mpls., but well worth it. I think it'll soon be a yearly tradition for me. Vern

Vipor--Gord at Verm.Bay will hook you up on some decent spots, to be honest, we didn't get far on the western shore of V-Bay, fished in Favel Bay a little but not a lot of fish. First day last year, June 17th, we headed straight south and trolled around a large island with blue and silver Shad raps, picked up a 26" walleye but that was it. Hammered brass spinner/minnow rigs would have been a better choice, based on later-in-the week success. I'm still working on the crank-trolling details. 3-way rig with spinners did well and a dropper with split-shot off the 3-way swivel kept us from losing spinner rigs. Can't wait to get up there to CANADA, but I gotta get a turkey for the wife (gun) and one for myself (bow) in May first. I am huffin' and puffin' till our season opens May 16.

Hemlock--My wife is being assisted by me to become a fishing nut. Granted she likes to shop but is happy and willing to go fishing. Not quite as much as I like to go fishing, but dang close. I'm guessing your talking about boat rentals on LOW in Kenora, or do you have something else in mind for us. Too bad to hear you'll be working, that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. thanks again for the help, mucho appreciado buddy! Best of Luck to all you nutty people out there that, like me, can get up, no matter how much sleep you had the night before, if it means you get to go fishing or hunting. Gotta luv dem outdoors!!

Vern be sure to let me know when your going up. We will be up in May too. Maybe a few times in May?

TEAM RESERVOIR FROGS

reservoirfrogstshirts.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-19-2003).]