• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buffalo Bay Pike

I have a few questions about Pike fishing On LOW. My friends and I are planning on going up to the Warroad area or North into Manitoba and fish for big pike. Does anyone have any advise for me? I was told to fish near the rivers, but I don't know how deep or what to use for bait. Any help would be great. I fish LOW all the time but for walleye's not Pike. Trying something new to get my young step brother involved in the sport. He hates to fish for walleye.
Thanks,
Walleyeslapper

Walleyeslapper,

This is from a post on the Lake of the Woods thread. The thread was titled "Things to do on the big pond" and it's on page 3 right now of the Lake of the Woods page. It was written by an experienced, well respected fisherman...hope this helps...

North of Warroad you have Springsteel resort's road, again 5 bucks. this road takes you usually over to the south tip of buffalo point. This area's walleye fishing is somewhat overshadowed by other area's of the pond, but the fishing is usually pretty good early in the season, somewhat reliable thru the winter, and the last few years the bite has been way good on the late ice off of S. buffalo. If you want big pike this is the side of the lake to fish, especially at the end of march thru ice out. There is a small reef between springsteel and buffalo about halfway, and about 1.5 to 2 miles south of Tom's bay, great walleye fishing if you find it! {Waypoints for sale!}. Sometimes you can get to 5 mile reef via trails out of springsteel, Warroad or swift ditch, all depends on snow. For you pike fisherman you can most years follow tracks out of the Warroad public access to fish the south shore/swift ditch area. Truly world class pike action, for very large fish....a whole other story!!!!

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Gamagatsu,
How do you access the lake on the Manitoba side, do you access at the access then head south? Id there any problem with the Indian Reservation, such as rules or laws, or permits? Thanks alot

I was just curious about of how weight you use to keep those Ciscoes down on the bottom with current without to much weight to trip the tip-up. Would a 3-way work with say 2 oz
on the bottom and the other line2 feet up and 2-3 feet back. Or would that much weight feel unatural? How about a 2 oz slip sinker and fishing it on the bottom?

you dont need any weight to to hold your bait down, your not fishing in a river . buffalo bay is a bay on lake of the wooods. as far as access to the lake you go through customs north of warroad, go till you come to the first road to the right, which is just blocks. take a right follow that until you come to a road that goes left, i believe its like a dnr place or hwy dept. there.take left follow that road to the end and you end up at buffalo bay marina. the road access fee is 5.00 buy your license there and bait.

from what ive heard the marina isnt open and there are no roads bait or lic to be had this winter there, your next best bet would be to go to sprague and north to silver birch resort and access the lake at birch point. probly 45 min. fom warroad.
they have bait and lic. might want to look for some larger smelt however.
and if your making your own Q strikes, might as well make the leaders 4', so you have a hold of them by the leader b4 they enter the hole. have fun!

gamakatsu,

Got a little mixed up their. I guess my mind was just thinking about the bay in Baudette where the Rainy comes in. Hard keeping the bait down their. Sorry about that perhaps I should read more carefully.

I have fished buffalo bay for many years and had great success in big pike fishing. Everybody that I brought up there has a pike on the wall over 20 lbs. The method i use is a magnum polar tip-up filled up with 180 lb mason line,two feet of 7 strand wire for a leader, 1/0 hook with a 2/0 treble rigged up into a quick strike rig. use ciscoes for bait and hang them one to two feet of the bottom. I had the best luck out in front of reed river in 9 to 11 feet of water. When your flag goes up set the hook as soon as you get there and hold on. good luck

minniman,
The marina is open as of 22/feb for the rest of the season. they open at 9:00 am every morning.there phone no. 204-437-2402
they still have license and bait. the report is as of this morning you need a 4x4 to get around the bay, and there is a few ice ridges out there but i was told that you can go any where you wanted to fish.