• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maffit Reservoir near Norwalk

It's not worth your time! It's public, but everyone I've talked to say's it's dead in the winter.

Stick with your regular ice guide Nate, he won't steer you wrong. Maybe I'll let you catch more fish than me next time.

By the way, you wern't one of those crazy guys on Big Creek on Saturday were you? lol

ive done really well on maffit, took home several hundred 'gills and 'pies and perch to boot, just in the past few years.I wouldn't listen to a guys' advice on a lake, if he'd never actually fished it,he must be afraid to venture out a little bit further than big creek,although its a great lake,we need to expand our horizons and learn.
in conclusion,yes Maffit res. is a fantastic lake but its also one of the deepest lakes in Ia. so its easy for a large body water to "shut off".Its clean as heck. no boats at all,so ice fishing the lake is a big advantage since it's the only time it gets any kind of fishing pressure.just like any lake "when its good its great" but when its slow, get mobile and learn the structure for when it is good.good luck.

Hey now, I have spent plenty of hours on Maffit over the past few years and have done poorly overall. Have I caught fish? Yup. Have I done well enough to call it "fantastic?" Not by a LONG shot. Again, just my personal opinion from spending lots of time on that lake. And yes, I am a "good" ice fisherman that can read a lake and find fish on new waters or waters unexplored with my boat. It is just a tough lake. There are lots of fish in there, and some really big ones, it is just a tough lake (in my opinion) to read and figure out. I have never been skunked more on a lake than on that one. I personally dont waste my time on this lake any more, which is unfortunate because I think with some good management this lake would become fantastic and even phenomenal. I am glad that you are having good luck on this lake icewalkr1.

And on a side note, please refrain from making personal attacks to other site members, "...he must be afraid to venture out a little bit further than big creek..." I saw nobody make these statements toward you and it would be nice to keep things cordial.

goody

Youre absolutely right!I didnt mean to "attack anyone"by any means at all.Thats not my nature at all,and im glad you pointed it out.I guess i was just giving one of the big creek boys [like myself] a hard time.Heck ive probley met the both of you boys,its a small world and im not out to make an enemy.So to sum it up i want to appoligize to the both of you-goody and natedog for any harsh confusion.I would be happy to swap fish reports and stories with you guys any time.I used to work at local bait house until just recently so i get some inside scoops.Im also out just about every night somewhere around here so dont be afraid to ask for a report.Hopefully we can all have a brew on the ice together and laugh about me being a jerk.
p.s. you narrowed that lake down better than me, i just had more good days than bad on Maffit so my opinion is bias.
once again sorry guys!

Understand the confusion.....I seem to get confused a lot smile.gif And by this last post, you were obviously being not being a jerk, just me being confused again. I envy that you can get out every day....I make it out as much as possible and that just isnt enough. Havent hit BC in about a week...been diverted with Okoboji and other haunts recently. By the way...what bait shop did you used to work at. ANyhoo...glad I was just confused....take care out there and tight lines.

goody

I used to work at JohnstonBaitandTackle.I sure miss working there,but i never got a paycheck due to just writing everything off on to it.But I do fish alot more so thats gooood.
Anyway,I'm glad the confusions' past us and we can talk
fishin'!
good luck,Doug.