• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats the connection....IA and Bullheads

You would have to ask site member Setter about that one...I wouldnt know anything about those yellow bellied slimer balls....but Setter is a Bullhead King that moonlights as a GNWC walleye guy! smile.gif

goody

setter. my parents and many people in thier time would make a day trip to waterville for the big bullheads. they would catch a gunny sack full then go home. it was and easy fish to catch and provided them with a welcome change for a meal.most of those people went thru the depression , and felt that they would provide a cheap source of fish. there are still some that love the big yellow bellies . as a kid , that was all we ever got to fish for! i hate them things!!! my $.02 del

High-Ball, I too grew up catching bulls and big carp.That was all lake Oelwein had in it when I was a kid.And you couldnt eat them. To much oil was dumped in the river. I still can smell them. ICE JOHN FISH ON

You pickin on our prized stompers smitty? I've had folks (usually IA or MO) ask me where they can get a mess..I've never had to take anybody fishin for them altho I would if asked :-). Go south of here down into lake traverse big stone lake country you find bullheads on quite a few restraunt menus, not all that bad, all you can hold down for 5 bucks, DEAL! lol Good fishin boyz! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

No connection between this Iowegian and bullheads!! I grew up hearing them called "Stompers" (ya catch em, lay em on the ground, stomp on em, and pull your hook out)... Not sure why as my Dad always had a cool little tool made from a coat hanger to "spin" the hook out without even having to grab the little buggers.

They must still know where I'm from though. Was in the Detroit Lakes area a couple weeks ago and caught 2 within 5 minutes while trolling for walleye with crankbaits at night.. What a disappointment when you're expecting old marble eyes to come up beside the boat!! :-(

High-ball, I think it has something to do with being able to catch 200 a day. And when flash fried in 400 degree peanut oil after dusting in cornmeal, there almost as good as hog nuts.

Guys as you know I hardly ever post on this site.But it is a very good site and I like to see what you guys have going on from time to time.So I see this post about Iowa and bullheads.It gets me thinking before I even click on it.I'll tell everyone about Goody-he's one hell of a bullhead fisherman.So I click on the post and I see he has passed on a terrible lie to you fine people.I do know this,if there are bullhead waters in your area I'm sure Goody will not be far.How many people do you know that target them through the ice?
Ryan Hale

As a young boy growing up in Sioux City my parents would take me fishing in southern Minnesota for bullheads.
There would be many Iowa people fishing bullheads in the spring and the bullheads were given the name Iowa Pike.
The fish are excellent smoked or pan fried when taken from cool water. When the shallow lakes warm up later in the summer the fish tend to taste muddy.

------------------
Bob/MN