• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dakota Fishing

Anybody been up in the Dakotas ice fishing lately? Some buddies and I are planning a trip to the glacial lakes area (NE S.D.) leaving next Friday 2/7 for a couple days. Would like to hear from anyone who has been up that way. How was the fishing, how thick was the ice, weather, how much snow on the ground and are the women up there still all that crazy wild about Iowa icers?
Inquiring minds want to know.
doggiestyle

hey ice dog, i was up there the early part of jan. the ice was 12". the fishing was excellant. the largest pike was 14lb. 2oz. i pike fish in the day and walleye at night. the perch was biting also. what lakes are you going on? i am going back at the end of the month, and also in the middle of march

We are heading up to Webster,SD. Plan on fishing Waubay, Pickerel and others in that area. Never been up there before, so looking for all the help we can find.
What lakes were you on?
Any suggestions for us: tackle, baits to take along? Do we need to take lanterns for night fishing? Anything else we might not know?
Thanks,
dog

hey ice dog i have been going to the same lakes where you are going for 9 years. waubay is the best choice for pike in the day. pickeral is the best for walleyes at nite. you are allowed 4 lines each in s.d. i use popups, they are like tip ups but better. that away i can drink beer and eat, with no jigging. i make my own leaders out of blades and beads for the pike, tipped with a nice chub. we stay in watertown at a motel, there is a resturant right in the parking lot, great food real cheap also. the best bait house there is the proud angler in watertown. from urbandale to watertown is 5 hours and 15 min. respond back if you want more info. [email protected]

fishpopup-now I understand your user name. I thought maybe you were lucky enough to be a guy who just opened up holes and magically the, "fishpopup". I hear you on the eating and drinking advantages...I have some old Polar tip-ups I have been using for years...modified them with my own design "tip alerts" a buzzer and light indicator. Still, I like to have a jigging rod in one hand and work those fish over from my portable. Will send an e-mail and ask a few questions.
thanks for the offer,
doggone