• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone fishing this weekend??

slabdaddy i heard decent crappies were being caught between 3- dark at alice wyth but havent tried yet ,went to rock creek saturday and did real good on crappies and gills and a 5 lb carp (actually hit the wax worm ) do you live in waterloo/cedar falls area?

Bigslabs, I live between Fairbank and Jesup. I heard about the bite at Rock Creek. A fella from work has been doing good there. I have only fished Alice Wyth once. I drilled several holes and couldnt find any change of depth or structure. I see though that alot of fisherman focus on the bay by the fishing jetty. Any hotspots there you want to reveal?

go all the way to the left of the lake the water gets deeper on opposite side ,and in the far left cove ,good luck (alice wyth is what im talking about )

Bigslabs- How far is rock creek from the cedar falls area. Have the day off tues. and want to get out there. Any hot spots you know about down there.
Mr. M

Caught alot of 10"-12" sauger below L/D#9 yesterday. Ended up with 1-17" and 2-15" sauger. Used jigging raps and buckshot spoons tipped with half a minnow. Best bite in 38' of water. Plenty of ice. JD

Went to Rock Creek Sun. I tried spots that I haven't fished for a long time. Caught a nice eating size cat, 15" L mouth bass, 1 crappie and a bunch of dink BG's.

fishtale:

Friday: Fished Big Creek after work at 3 until 6:30 and caught a ton of eyes, all small, and some good gills.

Saturday: Fished 12-Mile and caught a ton of fish. Tried my part to take care of the yellow bass (keep every one you catch!! Dont let them back in!! Use them for fertilizer if you have to!!)and caught LOTS of them. Got some good bluegills too. I didnt see one crappie!! couldnt believe it!! Dad and I also landed around 3dozen walleyes, around 5pm it was nonstop action catching them on jigs and running to tip-ups for quite a while, but not one keeper in the bunch. However, that morning a guy 20yards from me caught a 9# eye!!!! IT was a PIG!!! Its stomach looked like it was going to explode. What a great fish. Oh yeah, got a channel cat too....just isnt a good day on the ice without one of those....

goody

I am curious as to your philosophy on the yellow bass? Is this considered a "rough" fish? Why would someone want to keep them and use them for fertilizer? The ones that I have caught at clear lake are actually quite good eating, and are a very popular fish in that lake. Is there a reason that people want them "out of the lake"?
Just curious
bcon

In most lakes, the yellows take over and eventually eliminate the other panfish species, and then become very stunted. Lake Anita in Cass Co is being renovated this year because of yellows. In just a few years, the yellows have eliminated all new year classes of crappie, gill and bass. It is estimated that thier are 1.5 million 2" yellow bass in that 180 acre lake.

Many lakes in s.w. Iowa have been infested over the years. Some one-who-thinks-I-am-silly put yellows in 12 mile about 6-7 years ago. They have significantly impacted crappie numbers and are reaching that critical mass point where they could overtake the lake. Hopefully, a strong predator base in 12 mile with walleye and bass, and fisherman removing all yellows they catch, can prevent that.

For some reason, yellows don't seem to reproduce as prolifically in some lakes like Clear and Black Hawk lakes. Perhaps the high sediment level in those lakes suffocates yellow bass eggs like it does walleye and perch.

Yes, yellow bass are very good eating but in most waters, thier introduction is a disaster.

Thanks for the info. I know that at clear lake the dnr says they are on some type of cycle where the population goes up and down.

I'm not sure what other panfish clear lake has, too bad that the fish were introduced by someone other than the dnr. Shows what can happen when someone tries to play biologist.
thanks
bcon

Went back to Badger tonight, fished from 5:00 until a bit after dark. Only one on the ice, one bite, no fish. Is anyone doing any good? May try Big creek this weekend, is quite a drive for me, but need some action.
thanks bcon

jr hit it on the nose. I brought home every one that I caught and cleaned them up...even ate them yesterday for lunch. they are great eating fish and even the small ones clean up nice...only two were too small for me to clean. I dont want to see one of my favorite lakes destroyes like Anita, Icaria, etc. It always puzzled me why they do fine in clear...wish that were the case down here as I do like the fiesty little suckers!!

goody

Went down to Green Castle yeserday(Sun). I was surprised to see 4 ice shelters already there. Oh, I guess it was almost 4PM when I got there. It took 8 holes to find structure off the SW fishing jetty.

I think everyone down there was catching dink dink blue gills. Yea, I meant 2 dinks in that last sentence. So after dinking around(HA HA)I baited up the tip-up and my heavier pole with a dink. Stayed till almost 9PM, then gave up.

Did anyone get to do any HOGGIN?

fishtale

I was at greene castle too. Caught 2 nice crappies and a 17 inch bass. Last weekend caught a 10lb. northern and 6 crappies. Seen a lot of crappies on the camera but they just wont bite.

Was the Northern released? I used to go down there for northerns to, but a lot of people have been taking them out of there so that the numbers are low. Green Castle needs all the preditors it can get to take care of the stunted gills! Take a picture of them and release the northerns, walleye and bass. Its good to here that at least one nice one may still be in there. Sorry I went off. That is just my oppinion. I know that it had to be fun watching him come up though the hole!
Hope there is more in there. I'll have to give GC another try.

fishtale: