• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Finish...

Just got back in from my last gig on the ice for awhile. Tomorrow night wife and kids are dragging me, kicking and screaming, to put me on a plane to Florida. This will, of course, include 5 days of fishing for specks and redfish. Line up here to give sympathy.

Anyway, you guys better get out there. It's gorgeous. 25, no wind and the bite is on. Went to favorite farm pond, set up on a brushpile and started catching fish in the first hole. Then a batch of 13 " bass moved in so I drilled a hole off to the side about 10 feet. Could see some flickers on the bottom.

Dropped a gold FatBoy in and started dragging out nice 'gills about as fast as I could get down. I decided I'd better go home "after the next fish". About 4 later, the jig went red and I was into something solid.

I've got 4# Fireline on that rod and I have pretty good faith in it, but the hooks are soft on those Genz jigs so I spent quite a bit of time getting it up. At the same time I'm trying to get the gaff out and the cork off the hook. Finally get him up and, as I expected, it was a pretty good channel cat. First time I saw an opportunity I stuck the hook under his jaw and started him up. Usually they'll slide right out but this old boy decided to lock his pectoral fins and he wouldn't come out through the 6" hole.

I finally got tired of fooling with him and put on some serious pressure. He finally popped out. 6.4# on my digital scale. Not my biggest, but lots of fun on an ultralight rod. Anyway, looks like you're in for a few nice days. (49 and rain doesn't look good for the ice) Hope that wasn't my last time out for the year.

Take care and good fishing..g

well, since you'll be fishing for 5 days in florida, you get no sympathy here smile.gif lol The ice will still be here when you get home. Atleast you have that nice catch to think about while your gone.Those big fish are fun through the ice!

Have a good trip!

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day :)