• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ice Updates

Hey, Heading north to Lansing. Any info on the bite would be appreciated!!!!!!
Thank yew fur yer support!
Sorry about that. It's been almost two years since I last fished through the ice and I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to vogla Lake caught lots of small blue gills.NO keepers test some jigs I had for a long time.Surpized by the size the fish would take.Were they hungry or just liked the jig?Going north of Independce in the morning try forCrappie.

Went to Hickory Hills south of Waterloo today. The bite was good early in the day and slowed as the day progressed. Ice was about 3-4 inches with some open water. Shorelines were melted out about 3 feet by the time I left around noon. Be careful!! Pray for a clipper!!

Went to Hickory Hills south of Waterloo today. The bite was good early in the day and slowed as the day progressed. Ice was about 3-4 inches with some open water. Shorelines were melted out about 3 feet by the time I left around noon. Be careful!! Pray for a clipper!!

Icejohn, wheres abouts north of Indy? The lake area? I catch some slabs a little up stream of where it dumps into the lake. But that is spring,summer fall fishing. Ive never tried the hard water there.Maybe I'll mosey on over that way tomorrow. Beats watching football.

Tried to go to a farm pond today south of des moines. NO dice about 1.5". I then decided to go check lake miami. It is pretty much wide open.
I've got the ice fishing bug bad but no way to cure it around home.

Went to the interstate(35&3)caught BG, crapolasv and a few perch. All were small. Got there at 12:15 PM. It was raining. Ice was about 4" and covered with water when we left around 3. Some of the crappies were cleanable.

Went to Clear Lake after. Walked all over looking through 9 to 12 inches of ice for a walleye bite. Ended up fishing in 17'. Caught 3 yellow stripers and 1 small eye. My partner did the same on the bass and 1 14" eye. Left at 8:20 PM.

I am gonna try to get on something closer to Marshalltown today if possible.

How did everyone else do and what are the ice conditions were you went.

Appreciate the info:
DS
fishtale:

Hit Cornelia yesterday from 11-6:00. Saw a ton of fish, but none were really aggressive. Ended up with a couple dinky walleye. Heard earlier that morning they were hitting pretty well...the front coming through must have shut them off...either that or they all got fed that morning and werent hungry by the time I got to them. No ice down here so I must travel...this sucks. Not even enough ice on local farm ponds to do anything. 3in of ice on Big Creek main lake yesterday morning and up to 7" in places back in the lost lake area. That is all the ice we have....once again, this sucks.

goody

[This message has been edited by goodyy7 (edited 01-05-2003).]

Went out to the west end of Pleasant Creek (Palo,IA) on Sat morn. Ice was 5-6" thick. Stepping across one of the cracks the ice shifted under me and the darn crack moved making that loud "cracking noise" only cracks can make!!! Haven't had to change underware out in the cold like that for a long time (hehehe). (Must go back on diet!!!)
The fish there were mostly small BGs and crappies with the majority of fish I could see not being cooperative no matter how I begged!
Maybe all us Iowa Icers should go to the MN border and hold a giant ice fishing junk garage sale?!?! hehehe...maybe they would take all our ice stuff and exchange it for 1 decent natural lake to fish! (in my back yard of course!)
dogdays

Went to upper pine lake yesterday put in along day and a few fish. Came home with 5 BG 7 to 8 inchers and 10 crappie 8 to 11 inches. Could jig them in but real lit taps. fished until 11pm . Had 6inches of good ice,was very slick do to rain. It has promise and while fish it again. Its a fairly easy walk, just look around you can tell were it's been pounded.

Well, after a year and a half, I finally got back on some "ICE". Felt darn good too!
Lots of people on Bussey, quite a few at Sny. Didn't fish at either one. Went to the dredge hole along the Lansing dike road thursday afternoon. Lots of small fish. Quit before dark so I may have missed a good bite. Heard a report they were doing well but a lot of sorting on Desoto Bay. Fished friday and sat. near PDC and did very well. Had to sort a lot but still a fine trip. Smallest gill kept was 8 inches. Largest catch and release was a 13 inch perch loaded with this years' young.
Did I mention it was great to back on "ICE"?

So Herb, just wondering, how did it feel to get back on the ice?

hehehe

The All Seeing and Knowing Weather Guru's are calling for temps in the 50's on Wednesday in CR! I think I will trot out the beach attire and go ice fishing/sun bathing again! Heck, it's almost mid January....this is looking like it might be the worst ice year yet!

dogonthinice

Hey Goodyy7 Do you fish Cornelia regular? I live in Belmond and fish it all the time. I
have been out there 5 or six times. Had my best luck fishing the edge of the channel. I'll probally try to get out there again sunday.

Actually, this was my first time to Cornelia. We usually have good enough fishing and ice down here that I dont have to travel much at all to be on great fish. This year is obviously an exception to that rule. Planned to hit Clear Lake this weekend but it sounds like the ice is dump due to the temps and the wind.

goody

Yup....Norwalk/Martensdale area. Finally have some cold ice-making weather to cheer about. Putting on good ice day and night so it wont be too long now. Hopefully tomorrow I will venture out and see what I can find as the I Hawk bball game and DM Sports/fishing show preoccupied most of my time today.

goody

I didn't get out on the hard water today. I was out on the road some. Every body of water that I saw had open areas yet. went from Marshalltown to Bangor to Cedar Falls to Beaman to M'town.

Did anyone get any fishing in today? Please post an update of the location, ice conditions and what was the bite like. I'll try to get on ice tomarrow if I can find some safe ice close enough.

Think safe:
fishtale:

Went to upper pine yesterday, had 8inches of ice on the south end. Watch it at bottom of boat ramp small open area, the bite was slow but did bring home small mess of BG. With the nice temps we are going to enjoy this week should make some nice ice. Good luck, and layem on the ice.

Has anyone been to the resiviors around creston or des moines? I used to live both places and was wondering if anyoes fishes these? I always went to Twelve Mile by creston and Saylorville-Big creek in Des Moines. We always did pretty good during the summer but i never was able to get out in the winter.