• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Union Grove

Drove by Union Grove Lake(by Gladbrook) this morning and checked the ice. Looked scary and noticed that the water level was way down. Then as I drove out I saw they were pumping water out off of the dam. I was working at the time and had already wasted enough time so I mdidn't stop to ask what was going on. Does anyone know the scoop.

There was an article in the local paper a while back that said they were lowering the lake 2 feet to do some repair work on the dam and spillway. I just drove out there and the contractor was just leaving, said they had plugged the hole that was leaking and it was already raising back up. I could see the ice had cracked and fell with the water dropping, I don't know what it will do with the water coming back up.

Thanks Graybeard! I happened to come past there again today. I got the same info you did. They were leaving when I was there, too. Were you in a small blue pickup.

The ice does not look safe at all. I was going to try Union Grove as my first spot this year. The crappies are starting to get to a decent size on that lake.

The water shouldn't raise much though. What do think. Have you been on the hard water around here at all, anywhere.

I wanted to try it this weekend, but it looks pretty risky yet.

Thanks again
fishtail:

That was probably me. I've got a green Nissan pickup. I haven't been out yet. Gonna hunt deer this weekend, then I'll probably be heading out. I bought a small permanent shack I was gonna put out at Union Grove, but it depends on how the ice does. I may take it to Rock Creek instead. Probably a little better fishing, but a 30 mile drive instead of 4.