• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Closer?

There are some good streams in the area you mention. However, if you are heading that way, I'd recommend Sturgeon Bay and the streams off Door County. Strawberry Creek is a major stocking site for the DNR, so obviously they get a strong run of kings and other salmonids in the fall.

Nonetheless, you will profit from the few extra miles by fishing the southern basin. DNR creel census data support my contention; it is not simple opinion. The southern basin has a longer season on both ends as well as greater representation of all five salmonids (kings, cohos, steelhead, browns, & lakers).

Techniques depend on what you plan to do. If you head over now, I'd suggest waders and spinning or fly rods using spawn or an imitation of spawn (marshmellows, yarn, etc.) or small Mepps spinners. In the harbors and marinas I'd throw Little Cleos spoons--blue/silver, orange/siler, or all silver. Flourescent work well also. Remember that the fish running the streams and entering the harbors are not feeding, they hit for other reasons -- defensive and maternal instincts are cited. One theory holds that they pick up spawn because they want to return it to a redd.

Good luck.

I always here about the root and that area but how good are some of the places even closer like the peshtigo, oconto, and some of those places...any of these spots get worthy runs. What is the peak time to go, and what are some tactics for fishing salmon. Might be to late this year but after a total of one chinook this fall fishing the north shore, next year im gonna make a trip to lake michigan.