• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shorefishing

This is prime time for shorefishing on the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan. Big king salmon are being taken at the Pike River and Kenosha Harbor near the Illinois line all the way north to Washington Island off the tip of Door County.

Kenosha, Racine (esp. Root River), Milwaukee, Sheboygan -- all active ports. In addition to kings, there are steelhead, some cohos, and big brown trout being caught on spawn, spoons, cranks, marshmellows, and nightcrawlers.

Clayton,

Any chance that you might be able to get me directions on these spots you are talking about?
I used to go to Manistee Michigan to do Salmon fishing...Way to long of a drive even for the salmon.
Somewhere closer would be great.
Thanks in advance.

It's a five-hour trip on I-94 from Mpls to Kenosha -- the southernmost port in Wis. I'd head to Kenosha and fish the harbor there first. If that was not producing, I'd work Southport Marina and then the Pike River. Good info and bait can be obtained at Pike Creek Outfitters.

If Kenosha is not active, Racine is only 8 miles north, then on to Milwaukee, Port Washington, Sheboygan. Racine produces well until late in the year, and both Milwaukee and Kenosha produce thru the ice in the harbors. You can't believe the power of a 30 lb king salmon until you hook one from shore in confined conditions -- lot different than open water in a boat.

Another advantage to the lower basin of Lake Michigan is the fact you don't have any problems finding places to stay and eat -- it's in the urban corridor of Milw-Chicago.