• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What happened to my post?

g man 46 --

In the reply to your question, there was an unauthorized link I was asked to remove. Klutz that I am, I managed to dust the whole thread -- which was not my intention.

As I recall your question (for which I had included a reply), you wondered about the action this time of year on Lake Michigan, and inquired about charters. In my opinion, Lake Michigan is one fantastic fishing hole, with good action all year -- even through the ice in harbors and ports. Right now, big kings are being taken from Kenosha all the way north to Washington Island (off the tip of Door County).

It's been something of a mystery to me that most Minnesotans I know who make the trip will go to northern basin ports. Actually, the most active fishing is in the southern basin with both Kenosha and Racine leading the way in DNR creel census data -- and this is for all five species. I can't post the sites, but you can easily find the charter association websites for either Kenosha or Racine (or other cities as well).

Michigan produces much larger fish than Superior because of the more hospitable environment. Superior is so deep and cold that rarely will you find kings, cohos, browns, or steelhead exceeding what in Lake Michigan is an average adult size. Lakers in Superior do get big, and there's evidence these are original strain specimens. In Lake Michigan the lakers were introduced because the orginal strain was exterpated.

If you want to email me directly, I can be specific on charter associations and even a few charter captains. Good luck.

I was just out on Lake Michigan last weekend. We had five trips out there and did well on all of them. Usually the early morning trips are better, but we had at least four fish over 22lbs in the afternoons. We fished out of Algoma Wisc. We had a large group that went out and we all caught fish. The charter captains are all pretty good at finding the fish. If you go to the algoma.org web site there is a list of charter boats. We fished through the Sandpiper. Give them a call and see what they have for openings.
They have said that this year has been one of their best years for numbers and size. I did see a 30+lb king salmon caught by a 14 year old kid last wednesday.
Good luck
Rob