• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Minnesota???

Evan though that both of these fisheries are well outside the Minnesota border, I am still interested in any reports.F.Y.I.-I attended a walleye seminar headed by Ted Takasaki a while back, (after he set new P.W.T. record on Lake Erie) he said that this lake is a tremendous walleye fishery,
that holds large numbers of large walleye (10+pounds)consistantly.

I'm often surprised that Minnesota anglers I talk with are unaware of the fantastic smallmouth fishing in the western basin of Erie. It is not unusual in the islands area to catch smallies that average four pounds.

Most charter captains push walleye fishing because of the popularity of big eyes and Erie's most highlighed species. Yet, the Port Clinton area has several captains more than willing to take clients smallmouth fishing. The artificial reefs off Huron and Cleveland are two other smallmouth areas of note.

If people here knew about the fish population in Erie I think there would be a rapid decline of sportsman in Minnesota.

I lived in Pennsylvania for a while just south of Erie. I will be moving back out there soon. The perch bite is going very strong again this year, fish average between 10"-14". The walleye fishing has been fair in comparisons to past years, but boats are still averaging 4-6 fish/trip the last I heard with the average size a very respectable 6 - 9lbs. Steelhead have been getting closer to shore at the time of this post with most walleye boats hooking into a few per outing. Smallmouth fishing as always is spectacular just out from the North East launch on the rocks using tubes.

For anyone who loves to fish steelhead its well worth the 15 hour drive (900 miles) to PA to experience a steelhead run in the fall. Soon the fish will be staged at the mouths ready to come in by the thousands (not an exageration) Its not hard to hook into 30 fish a day or more, with an occasional small king or big brown trout to throw in. The lake can usually be navigated safely in a 16' boat, calm days a 14' boat will do.

I have a link to get some accurate information on the area if anyone is interested.

Email me at [email protected]

Erie is tops for smallmouth and walleye, but you don't have to go that far for fantastic salmonid fishing. Mature kings are staging right now off the major ports of Lake Michigan from Waukegan, Illinois to Washington Island, Wis. Soon, there will be the annual run in the streams, when flyrodders go crazy. Steelhead runs on the Root River (Racine, Wis) are already legendary.