• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sour dough bread.

32 minutes ago, smurfy said:

dang leech.....your a regular suzie homemaker now in your retirement life!!!!!!!!!😆👍

My goals were smoke a bunch of meat-check, make some artisan breads, working on it, and make some hearty home made soups.  Chicken Wild rice will be coming up! 👍   Well along with fishing, hunting, Snowmobiling, camping etc, etc.  

You might get better crumb in a legit dutch oven.  Seals in everything better than a pot on a pizza stone.   

The dutch oven will sexy up the crust for sure.  It's looking a bit thin and pale.

It looks pretty good for a first attempt tho.  

Edited by bobbymalone

10 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

You might get better crumb in a legit dutch oven.  Seals in everything better than a pot on a pizza stone.   

The dutch oven will sexy up the crust for sure.  It's looking a bit thin and pale.

It looks pretty good for a first attempt tho.  

Thanks Bob.  I've done a lot of reading and video watching and I will have to say.  I thought wine and cheese folks were snobs and anal!  Baker's are the worst!  🤪  😆

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Thanks Bob.  I've done a lot of reading and video watching and I will have to say.  I thought wine and cheese folks were snobs and anal!  Baker's are the worst!  🤪  😆

There is a bit to an art with it because your starter, the temp of your house, and time are variables that you don't have to deal with when just mixing some stuff and tossing it in the oven.  But it's not hard once you get the hang of it to produce some fantastic loaves of bread.  Mine are great eating, but not so much state fair blue ribbon presentation.

Outside of the dutch oven, I would highly recommend a banneton if you don't have one.  I thought eh, whatever that's just some fancy stuff and this old plastic bowl will work just fine.  Naw, it's worth the $15 on Amazon to get a banneton. 

It wasn't obvious in your pic, but it did kinda look like you had a swirl on top from a banneton.  Wasn't sure.

7 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

There is a bit to an art with it because your starter, the temp of your house, and time are variables that you don't have to deal with when just mixing some stuff and tossing it in the oven.  But it's not hard once you get the hang of it to produce some fantastic loaves of bread.  Mine are great eating, but not so much state fair blue ribbon presentation.

Outside of the dutch oven, I would highly recommend a banneton if you don't have one.  I thought eh, whatever that's just some fancy stuff and this old plastic bowl will work just fine.  Naw, it's worth the $15 on Amazon to get a banneton. 

It wasn't obvious in your pic, but it did kinda look like you had a swirl on top from a banneton.  Wasn't sure.

Yep have a proofing basket. My kids got me a whole kit from John's Bread on line! Sounds like Sour dough is one of the worst one to make as far as steps go. I hope to try making some Rye's as well.