• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

03 drawing

To bad to hear that. Maybe you could get a surplus license, since more licenses are available then applicants! It dropped almost 50% in applications, any ideas why? I got drawn, and am looking forward to my first bear hunt!

If you buy a surplus tag do you get to keep your prefrence points for next year? Our cabin is in area 26 and it generally takes two years to draw a tag. If I won't lose my point I'd buy a tag for another area... maybe the BWCA.

Thanks,
Ben

I'm pretty sure that you keep your preference. It becomes like over the counter first come first serve with surplus, and I can't imagine they would record preference for that. My brother and I both drew area 26 this year on our first time applying, where in 26 are you located? We are on big balsam lake if u know where that is.

Our cabin is on Big Sand. Sounds like you got lucky getting drawn. I've always been told it takes 2 years for area 26. It took us two years for last years permit and looks like we'll get drawn again next year.

I'll double check with the dnr about surplus permits and preference points. Keep us posted on how you do this fall.

Bear hunting is a lot of work, but it is also very rewarding.

Good Luck,
Ben

Article in the outdoors section of the trib today saying surplus go on sale aug 4th, and there are about 5200 of them. They will be sold to people who applied first, and then if leftover, will sell to people who didn't.