• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear Hunting

Rick

Thanks Rick!

It's early but I have a question and maybe someone can help me out. Now that I am "married with children" it's getting tougher for me to find time to gather bait. I was wondering if anyone knows of a some place where a guy can just buy pick up load of doughnuts for the bear baiting season. If you don't want to post here, you can always send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what your talking about. Last year was my first year bear hunting and I didn't think I'd ever be able to go again(without getting a divorce).
The actual time spent hunting is minor when compared to all the time spent preparing to bear hunt.
After last years experience, I think I'm heading to this place out in Wisconcin that sells bear bait. This guy I work with makes one trip and he's done. I'm not sure what the name of the place is, but they advertise in the Outdoor News during the summer. From what I've heard this place collects bait much like you or I would(cookies,candy,pasteries,cereals,etc) but they get it by the truckload. Then they mix it and sell it by the pound. I'm going to keep my eye out for that ad and check it out for myself.

I've been a bear hunter for many years and quit scrounging for bait years ago. Donuts are fine but we have been sticking with dry dog food and cracked corn and oats. Mix a little molasses with that and you have perfect bait. Throw in a few apples and sit back and hunt.

Hey guys, I am a long time hunter, but have just gotten the itch to try to go after a nice Bruin this year. I have a couple questions for ya.

1) when is the deadline for applying for a permit?

2) What is the best way to bait, what is a good bait?

3) What is a good sized bear, we have some land up by Willow River and my dad's buddy said he saw a 300+ up there last summer. It would hit the deer feeder aobut 30 minutes after we filled it, every time. Is this a shooter bear?

4) what is a good sized grain, rifle to take them down with? I have a 30.06, I'm guessing maybe a 160 grain?

Thanks in advance!
setterguy

If you haven't bear hunted before get your hands on a video that will show you the basics. Last year was my first year bear hunting and I learned alot. I never saw a bear but my baits were being hit, not that well, but from the sounds of it I didn't do any worse than alot of people. I also picked up alot of good info from talking to guys hunting in our area.

1)The dead line for the application is May 2nd. The applications should be available near the end of March, begining of April. Keep checking the DNR web page or sign up for their email and you'll be notified when they are available.

2)This is where a good video will help. You'll want to place your bait in such a way that it will position the bear for a clean shot. This is usually acomplished by building whats called a crib. This will only allow the bear to access the bait from the direction you determine.
As far as bait goes, bears aren't to picky. Any and all of the suggestions above will work. I think you have to be a little more creative than dog food if your hunting public land.

3)Definitely a shooter.
The bear hears the familiar sound of the deer feeder being filled(the dinner bell) and waits until the person filling the feeder to leave before it comes out. If you have established this type of routine with your bear bait you may want to have someone walk to your stand with you and let them freshen up the bait while you get in you stand. The bear will hear your buddy leave thinking the coast is clear.

4)Sorry can't help ya. I used a muzzle loader in the early part of the season and started carrying a bow when deer archery season opened.

Best of Luck

[This message has been edited by metrojoe (edited 03-05-2003).]

I've never been bear hunting before, but am really interested in trying it sometime soon. I've recently won a $300 gift certificate at a gun shop and want to buy a gun that could be used effectively with bear hunting. Anyone have any suggestions?

What type of hunting do you plan on doing? Bait, Hounds, spot/stalk? Black v. Brown? And will you be using this gun for any other critters?
Let me know, and I will fill you in on what the guys use in the camp where I hunt.
bcon

Thanks bcon.

I was planning on Black Bears for my first hunting trip. As for the technique...I'm not 100% decided. It will either be by tree with bait or spot/stalk. Don't have any hounds to use. I wouldn't necessarily have to use the gun for other critters, but it wouldn't hurt.

I'm guessing that spot/stalk is pretty tricky? I guess I havn't heard much about it on here, sounds like guys usually just bait them. Any info is great!

metrojoe,
The last I heard the bait in wisc. was $50 for a 55 gallon drum. That is a mix of cearal, molasses and maybe gummie bears,chocolate covered cherries and so on . If you want to drive that far. They also have plain gummie bears and things like that and I think that might cost a little more. You can get a lot of dog food and oil from a fast food place that deep fries for the price of gas to get there. Most of the time you bring the barrel and they will fill it with oil for free. I can help you get bulk molasses if you have no where to pick it up. That runs about $5 a 5 gallon bucket. Sweet corn works well also. Some guys use meat scraps from the local butcher shop and that runs about 15 cents a pound. All you have to do is call ahead of time to tell them how much you want and make sure it is beef. Fruit is good to use also. Talk to the produce person at market and tell him to save you the bad stuff that comes in. Talk to any place that has buffet maybe you can get the throw outs. You need to be creative in looking for bait because that is half the fun. These are just some ideas to work off of. Good luck and good hunting. grin.gif