• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear Hunting

Rick

mnwild14 the best advise I could come up with for that would to do a honey burn. they say it works very well. wind is a big factor so don't get discouraged on the first couple of tries. Talked with a guy in the woods this weekend he showed me his new bait, berry bear bait. he said he picked it up at a elevator for $9.99 for a 50# bag. they where big pellets and really smelled good. that's cheaper than dog food or close to it so you guys looking for bait can stop at your local elevator and see if they have it or could order it.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a honey burn, do you usually only do those when you will be going out hunting, or can you do one while you are baiting. I was thinking of starting one to try and lure a bear in, I put my bait out last sat. it has only been three nights so far, but nothing has hit it. I added a few more things to it yesterday. What does everyone recommend to get the bears started to come in. As far as a elevator, would that be considered a feed store?

------------------
"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."
Genesis 9:3

Yes an elevator is a feed store. And you can do a burn it doesnt take to long. just sit in your stand to make sure you don't burn the forest.

I put out my bait on Friday morning and didn't get a hit until Sunday at 12:58AM. I checked it on Monday AM and rebaited, It was hit that night at 7:58PM(GOOD NEWS). Unfortunately, I kicked the bear off the bait on Tuesday night when I went to check. I put fresh bait in and decided to wait a couple of days to check. So, hopefully I didn't ruin this spot, because its all I have going out of 4 bait stations. The bear seems to only enjoy the popcorn and pastries I have out. It has not touched the suet and fish I have hanging. Maybe he is going for the easy stuff and if I don't come back to refill, he will hit that stuff.
How about the rest of you?

Well I started baiting Friday was hit Saturday ,Sunday,monday,Tuesday,wensday.Buy the size of the tracks there are three bears hitting the bait the first bear comes in about two hours after I bait according to my timer and they eat everything bread, pop corn,pastry,fish,meat.Looking pretty good for opener.

[This message has been edited by flipper0516 (edited 08-16-2001).]

I put out my bait Sat. afternoon, and I have checked it a few times and then again last night, and have not had a hit yet. I have fish, dog food apples, and a little of everything. But last night I took and did the honey burn and brought out a bucket of grease and did a few tricks with that. But I will check it tonight so maybe this will attrack something!! A guy who lives close to where I am baiting has mentioned seen at least two different bears in bird feeders and else where in the area, so they should come sometime. Good luck to all! What time do most people put there bait out?

------------------
"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."
Genesis 9:3

[This message has been edited by mnwild14 (edited 08-16-2001).]

remington, did you receive my e-mail? have not heard back from you. how much bait are you guys taking out that you have to keep going out to your bait pile? remington might have put his bear into a night time only mode because he kicked him off the pile. it might take him awhile to come back or he may not come back at all. if it is a smaller bear it may not effect him as much. mnwild did you go pick up a couple of bags of bird feed? sounds like that might be a bear favorite in your area because it has enough pulling power to bring the bear out of the woods!!! you guys need to put out at least 150# of bait and just stay home and watch bear hunting movies or something. that bait should last 4 or 5 days. be sure to bait heavy on sun. then do not show up till you can hunt on wed. mnwild after this long I would consider moving to a different spot because 5 days is a long time for no bear in your bait. leave the bait put out new fresh bait because some bear will not eat rotten fish or meat unless very hungry. try to find old watermelons for cheap from grocer, smash against tree next to bait. hang kotex with anise oil around the area. kotex are cheaper than those pads in sporting goods stores. put some molasses on the pile, you can find it at a feed store that mixes it's own feed or at a fleet farm or something similar. my advise to guys is now that you have bear coming in stay away.

Remmington, forgot to comment on your tree stand placement. if you can see your pile at 75 yards you are not in heavy enough cover. your tree stand should be 20 yards or less. go out the last 10 or 15 min. before sunset put out a big black object with no defining structure and tell me you could make a killing shot. I know this because I lost a bear last year because of poor placement of my shot and that was at 20 yards. I hit him to far forward and we chased him till early morning when he left no more blood trail. still not over that.

Watermelon, I had a watermelon that I have a full watermelon that I put in a bucket and then forgot about it a couple of weeks ago, it now has turned to mostly liquid but not completely. Do you think this would scare them away or attract them if I put it out? It obviously has quite a smell, but is it like the rotten meat and they would not like or do you think it would be something they would like?

I just got back from baiting hit again 1hour after I left.There are at least 4 bears in the area measured the tracks looks to be a good spot I bait every day at 10:00 am with about 75lbs of bait because where I bait its tough going.

EMTBucket, I did get your email, I will write back soon. But the 26th isn't a Thursday, so I need to know what day for sure. I luckily didn't scare the bear. He hit the next morning at 9am and cleared it out again. I have a skunks and coons visiting a lot, any comments on what to do? Should I just ignore that? I am going to put out a bunch on Saturday or Sunday again and then leave the area until Wednesday morning. Hopefully this will work.

Remington, don't worry about the little critters they don't eat to much and if Mr.Bear doesn't want them there he will chase them off. more often than not, they usually come in at different times. It will be either the 20th or the 24th won't know for sure till sat night.don't know where the 26th came from must of been daydreaming.

[This message has been edited by emtbucket (edited 08-16-2001).]

Well I put out more bait on Thursday and checked it today. The bear hit within 30 minutes of me leaving the sight. He is staying close and moving in as soon as I start banging my buckets on the way out. We stocked quite a bit out there today, and should be good until Wednesday. When we were leaving the bait, walking south towards my stand area, the bear was there, probably circling us to get downwind of the bait. It was pretty thrilling considering it was a noon and unexpected. I don't think he/she is that warry of my scent, probably a little guy, as he thrashed away before we could see him. He plopped into the creek and stayed there, so we moved out then. I am going to have to trick this bear into thinking I am leaving somehow. I don't have a second guy to walk out for me on opener, but I do have a couple ideas to try.
Well good luck to al!

Has anyone else heard about a warning for handling bear because of an anthrax outbreak? I know for a fact that I heard this on the radio this weekend but can't find anymore info about it.

The anthrax warning is for northwestern Min Bears might be infected by eating dead cows that where already infected.Most anthrax typically enters the body through a open sore or a cut but can be treated with antibiotics...

I'm hunting in section 44 and only have one place to place bait because it's convient for a friend of mine. The problem is that the people next door got new shotguns and have been shooting clays all of a sudden. To make things even worse, they have a gravel pit and are now running trucks back and forth. I have not had a bear come in yet. Only a few weeks earlier there were 9 going through his yard hitting his bird feeders for black oil sunflower seeds.
Anyone know of someone that can help me out with a spot or 2 to hunt yeat this year?

I have plenty of bait to be put out.
My main concern is to give my 15 year old son a good chance at a bear. He has yet to get a deer and thinks he's nothing but bad luck. I'd like nothing more than to prove him wrong.

Help! Help!

Terry Hagstrom
Terry's Guide Service
fishingmn.com/terry

Sand Burr,
Congratulations. :-) There have been some coming in around here but they have really slowed down on hitting the baits hard. SATCHMO doubled up one night with a black and a chocolate. Lisa on her first bear hunt of her life got a great cinnamon with a real nice pelt. Jim and his Dad took home 3 with Jim getting two and beating his Dad by about 100 pounds. grin.gif Nothing over 300 pounds has come in yet in this area that I have heard of. I've heard a rumor of one over 500 pounds coming by Solway.
Terry,
I wish you were looking for a spot in 41 as 44 is a long ways away from me. Very few things in life are as rewarding as putting a big smile on a kids face.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Kirby Sorenson shot a 500+ pound bear on his first bear hunt this past week. I believe he was hunting by Solway with his Dad and brothers.

They have been told it will be a Boone and Crockett bear once the skull dries. His dad told me the head was massive.

I am closer to Mora. It is a good spot on public land. Unfortunately, some jerk started a bait late that cuts the bear(s) off before they get to mine. I hear them every time I am there9less than 50 yards away). I have had to do tricks and work the wind just to get a chance. The guy hasn't hunted the spot yet, he just baits and they come in every night at the same time before dark. I am almost tempted to sit over his bait because it is too thick to put the sneak on. If I don't become successful this weekend or next, I think this spot is done due to small game season coming up.

I hope you get'em before he does Remington.
You could always cut him off with a little of that natural human urine scent over the top of his bait pile. Our baits have been real hit and miss around here since I shot mine.