• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dead weight

I have a problem...we were cranking in carp last weekend and lost two when the hooks pulled loose. The tackle I'm using can crank in a twenty something fish in about ten minutes or less, but I lost two fish that just kept taking line until the hooks tore loose after about ten minutes. Both times I had not gained or barely gained any line back after the fish ran off about four times more line than when I had hooked her, so these were probably much bigger fish. I'm using a hair and a #2/0 bait holder hook, no sign that the hook straightened at all. What can I do differently to land the big bruisers? I'm afraid if I lighten the drag I'll get spooled. I considered chasing the second one with the boat.

I recommend using a much smaller hook especially if your using a hair rig!

Try a size 4 or size 6. The smaller hooks can be sucked in better by the carp and the carp will be hooked much better.

Hope this helps!

You could also up your line capacity. A lot of reels people make nowadays have really crappy line capacity. Plus, you need to make the fish change direction as often as possible. Changing the angle of pull can often cause the fish to turn. This tires the fish out quicker and takes the strength out of its runs. I learned that fishing kingfish and it holds true for carp too. The key to fighting and landing big strong fish is to make them change directions. When the fish is running straight away, you can palm the spool lightly (careful!) while applying side pressure. A big carp will usually then turn and circle. Keep good pressure on the fish, gain line, and when he makes another run, you must turn him again - palm the spool and apply side pressure. Heavy line is not the only answer for landing big fish, because the hook will usually pull out before the line breaks. What you need is line capacity; the thinner the line the better to a point. Check out some of the newer lines and you can double the capacity of your reel without sacrificing strength. And learn how to turn fish. If you are worried about being spooled, palm lightly and pull down and away to turn him. Change the angle of force constantly to keep the fish from building up a head of steam. You'll find that you can handle large fish on very light tackle this way.

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to unraveling this. My kids and I are having a blast trying. Right now I don't think my reel is as full as it could be. I've gotten into a bad habit of stopping short of capacity to keep it from looping off the spool.

Sounds me like maybe you've hooked into a few big catfish. I've been catching catfish mixed in with the carp lately, and those big cats will take your carp bait if they pass by it. I always use a Gamakatsu. Pretty strong hooks, haven't had one straighten out on me yet. Are you fishing with braided line? I would go with braided line somewhere in the 17-25 pound range and upsize to a heavy action rod if you haven't already.

Those carp sure are fun and can provide some awesome action!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

YeeeeHaawww! Big carp are a blast! Another way to turn 'em on a run is to raise the rod to 12 o'clock and then rotate it in the same plane to 3 or 9 o'clock when they slow down a little. I've won a couple of bruisers like that when I was starting to see spool !yikes!

Carpredjudice is ugly. A guy at work asked me what the biggest fish was that I ever caught on the Missy was and I said "15 lb carp" and he said "no, a real fish." Ugh. Some people.

Rob

Thanks Matt, but there's no catfish in the lake I'm fishing. I'm using 30lb Spectra, but I have not had my line broke, the hook just tears free. I use Gamaktsu as well. I have downsized my hooks as per the advice posted above but my hooking percentage dropped, and when I did get into a real big one it tore free again. I tried tipping the rod over as you suggested and that worked up to a point. I think I'll need to lighten my drag a bit, or get a better reel with a smoother drag. I'm using a Shimano Sidestab right now. I thought I might try trebles, I watched an in-Fisherman segment on carp where they were using trebles.

Anyway, I'm just looking to break the 22lb mark right now, since I've caght several that size.

Try free spool. I've gotton into the habit of whenever I hook into a fish that I know is good size, I switch to free spool. I've landed many big carp this way. Make sure you have plenty of line spooled up and when you tie into a good one let him run. Keep enough pressure on the hook so it doesn't pop free, but not to much to rip it out. Just try to be easy with the big ones. Even if it takes an hour to land 'em. That's what carp fishings all about...the fight!

------------------

<*)))))))><{