• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 Yamaha F80 TLRY four stroke missing in an Idle and in gear after changing the melted wires etc. on the rectifier/ voltage regulator

x1957x

Hi. I have a 2000 yamaha four stroke that the rectifier burnt up from bad positive battery connection,  I bought a different one on Ebvay and replaced it. The old rectifier had the plug in wire, red wire, black(ground) wire and a not used blue wire. The new rectifier was the one the book called for although it had the same plug, red wire, black wire, but not the blue wire. It was a tad bigger and more square than the original but fit none the less. Now it has a rough idle at low idle speed in gear and a bit of a rough idle in neutral now.  If I get it in gear and get accelerated before it dies it runs across the lake great. I used to be able to troll with it at 2.1 mph but now if I get below 2.8 mph it shakes and has a rough run happening to it  at or below that speed. Thanks, Jeff

On 6/26/2022 at 11:39 AM, x1957x said:

Hi. I have a 2000 yamaha four stroke that the rectifier burnt up from bad positive battery connection,  I bought a different one on Ebvay and replaced it. The old rectifier had the plug in wire, red wire, black(ground) wire and a not used blue wire. The new rectifier was the one the book called for although it had the same plug, red wire, black wire, but not the blue wire. It was a tad bigger and more square than the original but fit none the less. Now it has a rough idle at low idle speed in gear and a bit of a rough idle in neutral now.  If I get it in gear and get accelerated before it dies it runs across the lake great. I used to be able to troll with it at 2.1 mph but now if I get below 2.8 mph it shakes and has a rough run happening to it  at or below that speed. Thanks, Jeff

SO.I guess I should rephrase this. I put on the original OEM Rectifier now and it runs better actually. The problem started when I burnt up the original voltage/rectifier, up. Now it just idles down to about 400 rpms after it warms up. Should idle at 650-700 from what I understand. Kinda like a filter issue or if maybe a Air cleaner issue which it dont have. I dont know why it would be the gas filter because I changed it last year and it only has maybe 40 hours on it. Its like it needs to be turned up on the nut on the throttle linkage. There is a electric plug with a adjustment screw that is on the throttle. Anyone know if this could bean issue or maybe a high voltage surge burnt it internally? What is it for I guess