• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

auger recommendations, please

Crow Hunter

So I started my ancient Strikemaster gas auger today. It took a lot to get it started and it keeps dying, I would hate to get out on a lake and not be able to cut with it. The gas tank is also leaking, badly. Perhaps it is time to put a crowbar in my wallet and buy a new one. Recommendations?  My fishing style: both panfish and gamefish, all my cutting is done outside, I moved my hardside house to my hunting land when I decided I was done with Mille Lacs. I think the most holes I would cut in a day would probably be 20. I also have been using a 10 inch auger bit, I don't know if I could go back to an 8 inch, but maybe. I will appreciate any thoughts on what to buy. I was thinking propane but i see a lot of negative reviews, interested to see what guys on here use and like. Thanks for any help.

My main ice tool is a Green work 60 volt chainsaw. I cut triangles for tipups and aquarium sized holes in the shanty for spearing or if you've ever spent a day jigging while sight fishing ya might quit hole hopping& it'll keep a kid occupied for hours picking out da dinks. It's 1/2 the price size & weight of an Ion w/ no carb. to clean or stick.

Never had to go past the 16" blade to fish but the 20"Oregon bar & chain fit just fine if needed.

I had a similar deal with strikemaster and went out and bought a kdrill the next day.  I have been super happy with it. I also had reservations with dropping down from a 10 inch.  I got used to it and have no problem.

I got a deal on my Milwaukee drill to get an extra battery so I have 3 of them.  Also nice to have a quality drill around too.

One time on ML late season there was almost too much ice but otherwise I haven't had any issue with ice thickness.  Never had an issue with needing more holes than I can get out of 3 batteries either.  I don't drill 100 holes in 30 inches of ice either.

I did get my SM tuned and I can always break it out if needed.  But I haven't used it once since getting the k drill.  

My friends propane auger is pretty nice.  No issues.  Nice to not stink my self up with 2 stroke exhaust.  It is heavy tho. 

Electric is the future my friend.  Embrace it.

8 inch 40V Strikemaster if I bought another right now.  

Jiffy E6 in 9 inch is my current fish house auger and it does great but can get jammed up with ice on the centering point in -20 weather.  Sturdy built.

Almost all of my bare or open ice fishing is done with a 6 inch Nils bit and Milwaukee drill.  I can shred a lot of ice with that set up.  It’s always with me and I can get fish up to 30 inches landed through that 6 inch hole.

I left the 10 inch bit a long time ago and have never regretted it.

I'm still using a 35 yr. old strikemaster 10". I have no issues with it. 

Went fishing with a friend last Saturday. He brought a much newer Strikemaster and

It crapped out on us. Another fisherman was nice enough to drill us a couple holes.

He was using an ION . Impressive ! 

Friend was so impressed he went out bought a new 10" ION the next day. around $650.00.

Last year I went from the gas auger 10" strikemaster (still have it) and now use a 8" strikemaster auger lite flite paired up with a Milwaukee fuel 2640 drill.  It came with 2 batteries and added a 8 amp with purchase of another Milwaukee item.  Found i get about 30 holes with each  of the smaller batteries but have not tried this year with bigger battery.  This setup is great, easy to use, powerful, and lightweight.  Good Luck on your search! 

Still have my 8" Lazermag hanging on the garage wall. Fired it up this past summer, surprised it continues to do so with 10 year old gas in it, must be the Amsoil mixture that has kept it from gumming up.

But these days I just use either the Nils 6" or 8" paired with a Milwaukee M18 drill.

I've also gone the battery route with the lawn mower and am looking to go that way with the snow blower next year.

Screw the environment!  I'm keeping my two old strikemasters 8" augers!  They always start, pound through any thickness of ice and just wouldn't die.

Why replace something that works and is dependable!  I love the noise, smoke and-

😆

movie-quotes-as-memes-i-love-the-smell-of-napalm-in-the-morning-2.jpg

I did find it funny last year after using the drill set up, and all the people I happened to fish with had electric in one form or another, that when a gas auger ripped off in the distance it sounded so loud and obnoxious 😆  How quickly things change!  Any way to get a person fishing is fine by me as long as they have sharp blades!!🤣

Edited by ozzie

16 minutes ago, ozzie said:

I did find it funny last year after using the drill set up, and all the people I happened to fish with had electric in one form or another, that when a gas auger ripped off in the distance it sounded so loud and obnoxious 😆  How quickly things change!  Any way to get a person fishing is fine by me as long as they have sharp blades!!🤣

Oh, I forgot and Obnoxious!  😆