• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jaw Jacker

1lessdog

Yes; ILLEGAL in Minnesota. MN only state in the ice belt states whare they  are illegal and quite expensive if you get caught using one. Dont expect anything to change soon.¹ Governor Walz appointed Commissioner Strommen to lead the DNR in January 2019, first female to have that job. 

1123248260_Screenshot_20211203-110343_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.1824e6637b0b7911cd9d5acd40b5089d.jpg

Edited by papadarv

6 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Well that's not true!  You can keep all the Carp and Eel Pout you want!! 😆

Eel Pout are now protected on Mille Lacs.

I figured a limit would be imposed some day with the numbers falling off so much but add them to list of un-keepable fish out there.

1EFF92EE-409C-4242-A0F2-B2357110D4AE.thumb.png.d1a316cbc7a9b0c3a8eaee4b8aaea1d2.png

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Eel Pout are now protected on Mille Lacs.

I figured a limit would be imposed some day with the numbers falling off so much but add them to list of un-keepable fish out there.

1EFF92EE-409C-4242-A0F2-B2357110D4AE.thumb.png.d1a316cbc7a9b0c3a8eaee4b8aaea1d2.png

Dang, all the breeding size Pout must be getting netted up too!  🤭

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Dang, all the breeding size Pout must be getting netted up too!  🤭

That’s one I wouldn’t touch.  

For so many years the non-netters despised them and threw them on the ice for waste.  Then people finally figured out if you could handle cleaning them they were good to eat.

Now I suppose they’ve been substitute fillets for lack of walleye harvest.  I don’t know anyone who won’t keep them anymore.  And if people don’t want them it’s really easy to find someone who does.

Pout are the new walleye for some.  I know people who GUIDE for them on a few lakes.  Won’t be long and we’ll see statewide limits.  Can’t blame everything on the nets. 😉

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

That’s one I wouldn’t touch.  

For so many years the non-netters despised them and threw them on the ice for waste.  Then people finally figured out if you could handle cleaning them they were good to eat.

Now I suppose they’ve been substitute fillets for lack of walleye harvest.  I don’t know anyone who won’t keep them anymore.  And if people don’t want them it’s really easy to find someone who does.

Pout are the new walleye for some.  I know people who GUIDE for them on a few lakes.  Won’t be long and we’ll see statewide limits.  Can’t blame everything on the nets. 😉

Yep, just like farmed Tilapia is the new fish, cuz everything else is getting "Netted out"!  in the wild!  😉

105395304_9781304710666_p0_v1_s550x4061.jpg.748251ccca66f4b2b50e0ebe08986af0.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

Pout are the new walleye for some.

never had it but always thought I would try it if I caught one..  

i'd try it if someone else cleans it......... i hear people boil it in 7up????

but then i thought the same thing with catfish......caught one, cleaned it best i could, brought it down to the wild game feed it was actually really good.

12 minutes ago, papadarv said:

Don’t knock it till you tried it. Boil them in Sprite or 7up.  Like Lobster “great way to eat LOTS of Butter”

I have. It's ok. Like it more with just butter and lemon. The pop deals to sweet for me.  But, it will never replace Walleye! 😉

25 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

In a way that’s like literally every restaurant out there.  It’s basically fresh water cod.

Nope, you got to Goggle Eelpout, burbot or lawyer.  I'm buying if you find it on a menu in MN.  Not Escanaba Mich.  🤭

40 minutes ago, smurfy said:

where do you get your walleye from!!!!!!!🤭

Hope this helps?  Maybe you can find a few too!  🤭

Walleye - US Fish and Wildlife Service

https://www.fws.gov › fisheries › freshwater-fish-of-america

About featured snippets•

Feedback

People also ask

Where can you find walleye?

Here's what to look for:

Inflowing tributaries create current in lakes. ...

Rocky points and sand bars often hold fish. ...

Humps are classic walleye structure. ...

Islands and reefs appeal to walleye. ...

Sand and mud flats hold yellow perch and aquatic invertebrates, which are food for walleye.

IMG_2242.JPG

Edited by leech~~