• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2021 pheasant reports

I haven't  been out much yet. Wont make it out this weekend, I have Monday off for a full day dedicated to rooster chasing though.

Been pretty wet here now all of the sudden, which isn't going to help with harvest and getting crops out unfortunately. Forecaset next week looks like more moisture. Yuck

snuck out  for  quick  sundown hunt yesterday with the intention that since it was halloween and the late vikings game would reduce the crowds out in the fields.

It was still grand central station out in rural SD. I had to drive to several WIA's before I could find any that didnt have a vehicle at it. Basically picked the first one I could find that was not occupied before the sun went down just to get some miles on the dog. 

Been pretty slow or hit or miss for me but I havent been hunting what I would call prime areas. I have yet to make it west or North of Mitchell. Seeing birds every place I walk but all hens. Roosters have been hard to come by but man there are hunters everywhere. Talked to one farmer and he said its 20+ vehicles a day almost every day on the land he had enrolled into public WIA. Good to see people getting outdoors but I am looking forward to all the fair weather hunters being done for the year.

No tailgate pics but the young pup is getting those running wild birds figured out:

Hard to believe I hadn’t chased birds for over a month. 

With the snow flying Friday I took a much needed day off and finally was able to get out.

Birds were stunned and held great in the fresh snow. Had some epic flushes, I still need to get GoPro footage edited hopefully I was able to capture some of those black sky moments.

Best part of it all I didn’t see another hunter or vehicle out the entire day.

Edited by rundrave

Huron huh?

Im taking a break from walking now. Im currently south of you a ways.. The birds are cooperating and the warmer temp today has taken the crust off the snow and they don’t hear us coming a mile away.

Got 2 so far should be done if I could shoot better:

E353AD12-C333-4E5C-A826-4B8557680323.jpeg

Edited by rundrave

I went out with my son for about an hour and a half today. Walked two spots and saw probably 40 birds. Ended up with 4. It was a little challenging in the wind and they were jumping early but a few chose poorly. I had one of the best shots I’ve made in 20 years on one that jumped early, caught the wind and was 50-60 yards out when I shot. Lead it by 6-8 feet and it folded. Glad to see the numbers and hoping the winter doesn’t take a toll on them