• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5/16 tongue & groove

rundrave

does anyone know if menards or any other big box stores still carries the packages of 5/16 tongue and groove? Something similar to this pic I got from an old thread here: linky

image.thumb.png.aa33aeadbf61d2bf8a5fabeda08bd4d3.png

I can find the individual boards online but not the packages where they are all bundled together. Was going to try to start pricing out a project but cant find anything online. 

With the cost of lumber lately I am afraid to even know what those packages are going for now days. Just a couple years ago they were only like $15 a pack.

I’ve stayed away from lumber and other high end commodities since spending a fortune on our roof in the spring. ?

I do have a project I’d like to get done though so if I go to the store I’ll take a peek.

Good luck!

7 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Looks like you can order it in @ lowes. I have had higher quality going through Lowes than Mnards .

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EverTrue-3-5625-in-x-8-ft-V-Groove-Gold-Pine-Wall-Panel/3056263

Thanks this will save me some running around.  

I hear you on the Lowes thing, my theory on menards is they sell cheap $hit cheap lol

I typical buy most of my building materials from the local lumber yard. 

1 hour ago, rundrave said:

I hear you on the Lowes thing, my theory on menards is they sell cheap $hit cheap lol

Truth.

I’m pretty selective about what I’ll buy at Menards.  I’m usually at Home Depot which I consider mid grade.  Might have to get to know Lowe’s a little better.

5 hours ago, rundrave said:

Yeah, um that's why it says "You save Big Money" over and over and over in the store! ?  Nothing about quality! ?  

On 8/7/2021 at 5:39 PM, rundrave said:

does anyone know if menards or any other big box stores still carries the packages of 5/16 tongue and groove? Something similar to this pic I got from an old thread here: linky

image.thumb.png.aa33aeadbf61d2bf8a5fabeda08bd4d3.png

I can find the individual boards online but not the packages where they are all bundled together. Was going to try to start pricing out a project but cant find anything online. 

With the cost of lumber lately I am afraid to even know what those packages are going for now days. Just a couple years ago they were only like $15 a pack.

Hey that's my picture! ?

That Lowe's link for $12.98 is a very fair price.  Especially when you consider that Menard's would probably need a rebate form (that I'd forget to send in) to get a similar price.  

55 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Hey that's my picture! ?

That’s why I made sure to give you credit and linked back to your original thread lol

have you done any recent house builds or can you give long term feedback on the last big one you did?

This stuff appears to be out of stock every where locally for me. I went to Lowe’s and menards tonight and got some sku numbers will have to keep an eye on it

Appreciate everyone’s input 

thanks 

Edited by rundrave

On 8/9/2021 at 10:09 PM, rundrave said:

That’s why I made sure to give you credit and linked back to your original thread lol

have you done any recent house builds or can you give long term feedback on the last big one you did?

This stuff appears to be out of stock every where locally for me. I went to Lowe’s and menards tonight and got some sku numbers will have to keep an eye on it

Appreciate everyone’s input 

thanks 

The last one was 2017, but that one is sold now to the same guy who bought my 2012 (orange) house.  The 5/16" holds up extremely well long term.  Obviously you need to do your part and keep it from getting soaked consistently in water, and making sure to have some sort of sealer/varnish on it.  

I'll be using the same stuff in my new build.  

On 8/12/2021 at 10:35 AM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

The last one was 2017, but that one is sold now to the same guy who bought my 2012 (orange) house.  The 5/16" holds up extremely well long term.  Obviously you need to do your part and keep it from getting soaked consistently in water, and making sure to have some sort of sealer/varnish on it.  

I'll be using the same stuff in my new build.  

Good to hear from ya LRG! I used 3 coats of polycrilic on mine and hit it with steel wool and a tack cloth in between to knock out any bubbles. It has stood up very well. As an added safety though, I did run a 3" of diamond plate around the bottom as a baseboard

if anyone is curious here are the menards skus I found in case you needed them:

3-9/16" x 8' Unfinished V-Groove/Beaded Reversible Wall Plank (14 sq. ft/pkg)

Model Number: JK01MS07 Menards ® SKU: 5013521 is $19.57

3-9/16" x 8' Unfinished Rustic Beaded Wall Plank (14 sq. ft/pkg) is $12.98

Model Number: FFP22ES09 Menards ® SKU: 5013500

That Lowe’s link was for panels, don’t you want individual boards? Menards have 2 qualities, one being about $3 or $4 more. The better one is worth it. Plus it seems every package has a bad piece or two. Menards let me bring the bad ones back, just tape them in bundles of 6 like they came. I’ve never seen this stuff at HD and we don’t have a Lowe’s, but I was very happy with the Menards stuff. 

I ended up using the Menards stuff I posted skus for above. I didn’t have many bad pieces. Out of 18 bundles I maybe had 4 bad individual pieces.

I got a wild hair to put it up on 2 walls of my home office and it turned out great. Did a 75% gray and 25% Jacobean for stain. Now just need to get my outdoor photos and canvases back on the walls.

81E45CDB-0837-4C9C-9590-10A965A5D129.jpeg

Edited by rundrave

On 9/3/2021 at 11:37 AM, Hawg said:

I sure wish this site would get busy this year like in the past, it WAS the best ice site. Nice to see LRG still lurking once in a while. 

Back in the day this place was great.  But, overbearing moderation, and some site changes really killed it.   I still like the forums way better than the social media groups now, particularly when it comes to searching for older content.