• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New charcoal grill recommendations?

I’m looking to buy a new charcoal grill. At this point I’m pretty much set on the 22” Weber kettle.

Anything else I should consider? I’m not interested in a big green egg or anything similar. Just a basic charcoal grill for grilling only. I won’t be doing any smoking it will be primarily used for poultry, burgers, brats and steaks when I feel like using charcoal.

Also is the premium kettle version for $165ish worth it compared to the basic kettle $120ish? I think the ash catcher is about the only difference?

Edited by rundrave

30 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

I have the ash catcher and I like it!!!  just my 2 cents......

yeah I think I would prefer it not to blow ashes all over the food so that feature is probably worth it. 

I also now see the premium comes with a thermometer and the original basic does not.

5 hours ago, rundrave said:

I’m looking to buy a new charcoal grill. At this point I’m pretty much set on the 22” Weber kettle.

Anything else I should consider? I’m not interested in a big green egg or anything similar. Just a basic charcoal grill for grilling only. I won’t be doing any smoking it will be primarily used for poultry, burgers, brats and steaks when I feel like using charcoal.

Also is the premium kettle version for $165ish worth it compared to the basic kettle $120ish? I think the ash catcher is about the only difference?

The nice thing about the Green egg is by the end of the summer your arm looks like Popeyes ? from lifting that 25lbs lid over and over! ?

If I had bought a Weber charcoal grill years ago I’m convinced I wouldn’t need to be buying another one now because the original would still be going strong.

I bought a big Weber gas grill on Black Friday a couple years ago and it’s head and shoulders above any of the big box store gas/charcoal grills I have owned the last 15-20 years. None of those lasted more than a few years before they started falling apart.

This threads got me craving some meat grilled over charcoal. Probably pull the trigger soon. Now I just need this rain to go away.

23 hours ago, rundrave said:

Great choice.

Nope. IMO, there is no better charcoal grill than a Weber kettle and there is no better overall value in grills period.

Weber kettles are worth it at twice the price so get the features you want and be happy.

48 minutes ago, rundrave said:

If I had bought a Weber charcoal grill years ago I’m convinced I wouldn’t need to be buying another one now because the original would still be going strong.

I bought a big Weber gas grill on Black Friday a couple years ago and it’s head and shoulders above any of the big box store gas/charcoal grills I have owned the last 15-20 years. None of those lasted more than a few years before they started falling apart.

This threads got me craving some meat grilled over charcoal. Probably pull the trigger soon. Now I just need this rain to go away.

IF you have a home depot near ya,  there new sales ad just came out.....2 bags of kingsford charcoal for 16.88. i remember them selling for 9.99!!!!!!? 

yea.......X2 on what Dave said!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by smurfy

20 hours ago, rundrave said:

yeah I think I would prefer it not to blow ashes all over the food so that feature is probably worth it. 

I also now see the premium comes with a thermometer and the original basic does not.

I've had a Weber kettle for probably 15 or more years that does not have the ash catcher and have never had ashes blown into my food but I would say that if I had to buy another one tomorrow it would have the ash catcher for the convenience of emptying.

5 hours ago, smurfy said:

IF you have a home depot near ya,  there new sales ad just came out.....2 bags of kingsford charcoal for 16.88. i remember them selling for 9.99!!!!!!? 

How much do the bags weigh? I think they had a 16lb bag for sale at Zup's for $9.99. That's about the cheapest price we get up here.

6 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I've had a Weber kettle for probably 15 or more years that does not have the ash catcher and have never had ashes blown into my food but I would say that if I had to buy another one tomorrow it would have the ash catcher for the convenience of emptying.

Yep.  

In my old weber without the catcher, I have had ashes blow around.  But not on the food.  Also had them get wet which is kind of a pain and the catcher cuts down on that.

If you plan on running it 15 years and emptying a billion times, that extra $45 is worth it IMO.

1 hour ago, chaffmj said:

How much do the bags weigh? I think they had a 16lb bag for sale at Zup's for $9.99. That's about the cheapest price we get up here.

i didnt look really all that close but there at least the 16 lber......and that price was for 2 bags.

that looks like one heck of a setup BobT. ? i've had a 22 inch weber charcoal grill since i've been on my own. had a knockoff once never again. the best one i had was a blue weber, someone stole that before i owned a garage!? i particularly prefer the kettles with the 1 vent on top and 3 on the bottom over the ones with the 1 vent on top and lever with the 2 bigger vents on the bottom. guess i never took issue the tray ash catcher. 

there are 3 things i would NEVER cook on anything but a charcoal grill..........chicken, whole turkeys, and season rolled pork loins...........and i'd wy prefer steaks on the charcoal!!!!!!! but.......

7 minutes ago, smurfy said:

that looks like one heck of a setup BobT. ? i've had a 22 inch weber charcoal grill since i've been on my own. had a knockoff once never again. the best one i had was a blue weber, someone stole that before i owned a garage!? i particularly prefer the kettles with the 1 vent on top and 3 on the bottom over the ones with the 1 vent on top and lever with the 2 bigger vents on the bottom. guess i never took issue the tray ash catcher. 

there are 3 things i would NEVER cook on anything but a charcoal grill..........chicken, whole turkeys, and season rolled pork loins...........and i'd wy prefer steaks on the charcoal!!!!!!! but.......

But what?

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

had a knockoff once never again.

Yep.

I had a $50 knockoff once too. Lasted about 3 years. Bought a Weber for $99 and have had it for over 15 years for sure. I have it up north at my camper now and the legs have gotten slightly bent from my son tipping a couch over on it that he was trying to move into my basement but it still works like a charm.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:25 PM, rundrave said:

It's been awhile since I looked but I believe the premium comes with the better grate also. 

I second Bob T's recommendation. I got one on craigs list brand new in box for half price of new many years ago. You get used to the table and miss it when using the regular kind. The upgraded ash catcher just makes life easier, otherwise the ash pan has clips to move out of the way and you have to kind of tilt it when you are full of ash to get it out. The charcoal bag container is very handy. Tool hanger for grill brush and charcoal moving tool. Rack to hold charcoal chimney and half moon shaped charcoal holder. My timer went bad and unfortunately they have discontinued them. I've not tried the propane starter feature, it's not on my model.

You can cook full packer briskets on the 22" and they turn out great.

Here's a tutorial if your interested.