• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adjusting belt

CigarGuy

I just put a new belt on my sled and it was screeching and creeping at idle and starting off running slow. When I went to adjust the tension, I noticed one of the 4 adjusting screws is missing. What do you guys think, going to be a problem if I run it to go fishing? Also, new to this stuff, how do you get them all adjusted equally? I couldn't get the belt to go down for the top to get level or almost level with the clutch, but I was able to get the proper tension, I think...about 1-1/4" deflection. Thanks for the help!!

IMG_20210226_163817507.jpg

There isn’t a screw missing. If you look inside there are threads but they are for the tool you screw in to change the belt. The tool should be in your tool kit. 
The belt should ride approximately 1/16 to 1/8 inches above the sheaves on the driven clutch when it is adjusted correctly.

4 minutes ago, Macgyver55 said:

There isn’t a screw missing. If you look inside there are threads but they are for the tool you screw in to change the belt. The tool should be in your tool kit. 
The belt should ride approximately 1/16 to 1/8 inches above the sheaves on the driven clutch when it is adjusted correctly.

Thank you. My son actually changed the belt and I rode it last weekend out to my fishing spot and noticed the squealing noise and the  machine moving at idle. I should have known about the slot for changing the belt, I switched out a different one a month or so ago, I guess I panicked ?. I was looking at youtube videos and some said the belt should be even, others said it the tension that's important. Tomorrow, I'll take it for a spin and see how it does. Thank you!!?

13 minutes ago, Macgyver55 said:

Lol Mac, beat me to it. 

The only thing I would add for now if you want to go out fishing in the morning and cant get it set. Throw your old belt back on for the weekend until you can spend more time setting it up when you have more time. If your old belt is still good enough to run. Also place them side by side and see if they match up to make sure you have the right belt. Of course the old one will be a bit more stretched out. 

Edited by leech~~

How do you adjust 3 different screws the same amount? Just look at how many open threads are exposed? Do they all have to be even? I screwed them in and out and didn't get the belt to move up or down on the clutch, but it loosened the tension on the belt. Stayed about an 1/8" above the clutch. I did rotate the clutch each adjustment to see if it moved. I also ran it for a bit on the stand.

Edited by CigarGuy

27 minutes ago, CigarGuy said:

How do you adjust 3 different screws the same amount? Just look at how many open threads are exposed? Do they all have to be even? I screwed them in and out and didn't get the belt to move up or down on the clutch, but it loosened the tension on the belt. Stayed about an 1/8" above the clutch. I did rotate the clutch each adjustment to see if it moved. I also ran it for a bit on the stand.

Screwing them in will allow the belt to drop slightly deeper into the sheaves which will in turn will give you more slack in the belt. You won’t really see it drop unless you turn the clutch a full revolution, which means he will have to rotate the track with it.
 When you screw one bolt in it pushes the sheaves apart, then you just screw the other two in until you feel them stop, then lock them all.

3 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

Thanks all. I adjusted mine and my wife's sleds. Ran them a little on the stand and they seem ok. Couldn't take them for a spin to check them out yet. Hopefully, I did them correctly.

You better get that spin in soon. Snows melting fast!