• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Registering a Used Snowmobile

Getanet

I've never owned a snowmobile but looking to get a decent used one for the family cabin.  I'm finding a lot of the ones I like over in Wisconsin.  Can anyone tell me what the process is for registering a used, out of state snowmobile here in MN?  Heck, for that matter I don't even know if I need a title or other documentation for buying a used one in MN.  If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it.

Same deal, just bring in the ownership card from the past owner. One of my last sleds was used from Wis. I just brought in the card and did an ownership change.  Don't buy a sled from someone with out the card and just a sales note scribbled on a napkin!  Lol.  ?

Edited by leech~~

5 hours ago, Getanet said:

Thanks Leech. 

I would add that it wouldn't hurt to get a signed note from the seller to bring in with the card. That is signed, dated, and for how much it was sold for. 

I suggest ALWAYS write up a bill of sale when buying or selling anything that needs registration.  2 copies; one for each of ya, signed by each of ya.

I always add the VIN, serial or registration number also.  You just never know if you’re gonna need it and it’s much easier to get it all on the front end then going back to get it.  If the seller won’t sign their name to it, don’t buy it.

5 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I suggest ALWAYS write up a bill of sale when buying or selling anything that needs registration.  2 copies; one for each of ya, signed by each of ya.

I always add the VIN, serial or registration number also.  You just never know if you’re gonna need it and it’s much easier to get it all on the front end then going back to get it.  If the seller won’t sign their name to it, don’t buy it.

Yep.  Easily modifiable templates all over online.

I sold my car a couple years ago on Greg's list and about a month later dude sends me an email saying the check engine light came on and it needed a new coil.   Sent me a bill for a couple hundred bucks.  I was like, yeah no, not gonna happen.  And this dude lost his mind saying I sold him a lemon.  Not so sure about that, but I told him feel free to have his attorney contact me, figuring that was the end of it.  Then his attorney called.  I forwarded him the signed bill of sale which explicitly stated the vehicle was sold as is with no warranty.   That was the last I heard about that.

Good advice Bobby, and timely. I have a hot lead on a snowmobile - now if I can just get my printer to work to print out one of these sales templates!  I've been looking for an older, yet decent, 2-up and holy cow do they go from listed to sold in about 20 minutes.

15 minutes ago, Getanet said:

Good advice Bobby, and timely. I have a hot lead on a snowmobile - now if I can just get my printer to work to print out one of these sales templates!  I've been looking for an older, yet decent, 2-up and holy cow do they go from listed to sold in about 20 minutes.

Sleds are a bit different then a on road vehicle as they do not have a title, only a ownership card.  Tons of good sleds being sold right now at the end of the season.  Good Luck!