• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

400 Kodiak oil draining out

Big Dave2

Anyone know anything about the part in this old post on Grizzly Central? It fell out of my 400 Kodiak this weekend and oil drained out. I found the part but I am wondering if it just friction fits into the hole or if there is something that holds it in. There doesn't seem to be anything on the schematics.

The below post seems to be the only mention of such a part on the whole internet that I could find but there is not a resolution.

https://www.grizzlycentral.com/.../mystery-part.../page-2

Appears to be part #40 here:

https://www.stadiumyamaha.com/.../50038dcaf8700.../crankcase

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

atvcap.JPG

atvcap2.JPG

Its possibly neutral safety switch location, 

this is what the switch looks like but without year it’s still hard to say. Bolt pattern looks right, but the other picture shows something without wiring.  

Found another picture but without a year I can’t identify it. Part number 21 in the lower picture. 

31B680C1-9801-4312-9D3D-547FEEA194CA.jpeg

F68630E1-D078-4522-8655-09CC3D0CDF60.jpeg

Edited by Macgyver55

8 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Looks like Dave's more worried about Bama and silly town. Then parts falling off his ATV? ?

Actually, I've been more worried about bringing my wife home from the Emergency Room where we were from 6:30 this morning until about 3:00 this afternoon.

But thanks anyway.

On 1/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, Macgyver55 said:

The links don’t work for me either !

Can you post a picture of the part also?

are the two outer holes threaded?

I'll post a pic of the part that fell out tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Actually, I've been more worried about bringing my wife home from the Emergency Room where we were from 6:30 this morning until about 3:00 this afternoon.

But thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear that about your wife, Dave. 

I guess I was referring to your late post viewing last night after you posted this and didn't check back.

1 hour ago, Macgyver55 said:

Did you ever figure out what the part was?
Im still interested in seeing the actual part that came off if you can post it.

It is called "blind plug" and is part #40 in the crankcase assembly diagram.

My local dealer didn't know much about it but they ordered me a new one that is on the way. He thought I could have just tried pressing the old one back in but I'm not too interested in having this thing fall out when I'm heading down a trail this summer so I'll wait for the new one.

I'll see if I can remember to take a pic of the part tomorrow.

51 minutes ago, Macgyver55 said:

If it’s not a press in fit, I’m wondering if (part #41 bolt) has a shoulder on it to hold the plug in place. 

CAF2F4C2-FBD3-4425-8CC9-CC20B4521AB4.jpeg

I think it looks more like part # 21 in the picture you posted about 7 posts back below. That looks like a 2 bolt plug cap more like what Daves picture of the missing part would fit. 

image.png.0432cad8e000629e33c9b3834a0c70e2.png

Edited by leech~~

15 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I think it looks more like part # 21 in the picture you posted about 7 posts back below. That looks like a 2 bolt plug cap more like what Daves picture of the missing part would fit. 

image.png.0432cad8e000629e33c9b3834a0c70e2.png

I don't think that's even my machine.

You are probably right about that!
Make sure the bore is nice and clean before you put it in. If it were me, just for some redundancy I would think about making some type of retainer bracket utilizing the two bolt holes on either side of it. Or possibly just oversize washers utilizing those same two holes that could overlap it on the edges. Might be overkill, but I usually tend to try to alleviate possible reoccurrences. 

1 hour ago, Macgyver55 said:

Make sure the bore is nice and clean before you put it in. If it were me, just for some redundancy I would think about making some type of retainer bracket utilizing the two bolt holes on either side of it. Or possibly just oversize washers utilizing those same two holes that could overlap it on the edges. Might be overkill, but I usually tend to try to alleviate possible reoccurrences. 

Great ideas, thank you!

2 hours ago, Macgyver55 said:

Yeah it would make me a little nervous having a pop bottle cap over a open hole going to my crank case, when running trough a lot of rocks and downed sticks in the woods? ?