• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

smoker temp control

I have been using an electric smoker that goes up to pretty hot, as a result setting it at a low temp for smoking sausage and such and holding the 

temp there is very frustrating, I am always adjusting it every few minutes. I would like to get a smoker that I can set in the range

of 130-225 degrees, and it will stay at the setpoint I want, or very close to it. Any recommendations for a smoker that can do this? Thanks for 

any help.

8 hours ago, Crow Hunter said:

I have been using an electric smoker that goes up to pretty hot, as a result setting it at a low temp for smoking sausage and such and holding the 

temp there is very frustrating, I am always adjusting it every few minutes. I would like to get a smoker that I can set in the range

of 130-225 degrees, and it will stay at the setpoint I want, or very close to it. Any recommendations for a smoker that can do this? Thanks for 

any help.

What brand do you have now?

My Char Broil electric seems to work pretty well and the nice thing for this time of year, it has a remote you can set and check from inside the house. ?

I bought the stand for it and put a wheel set on it to roll it around. 

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

Seems like electric is the way to go if you want temp consistency primarily due to the electric controls and predictability of the electric element. As leech asked, what kind of smoker due you have now? Does it have a temp-level control (1-5) or is it thermostatically controlled (125deg-400deg)?

Thanks for the replies. It is a round masterbuilt, I am attaching pictures of the smoker and the temp control. In order to be around 200 degrees,

I have to set it barely above warm and constantly adjust it. The smoker was a Christmas gift from several years ago, I think enough time has passed

to get rid of it and not offend anybody. ?  By the way, you look like a man after my own heart, Leech!

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

Edited by Crow Hunter

Just about any newer electric or pellet smoker out there today should do what you are looking for. I had a masterbuilt electric smoker for a while but I didn't like the Q it produced as well as other methods, maybe you would. It did hold temps fantastically well though.

image.png.fb6c7b2f99acc95c48ff6e7e81325afc.png

I have since purchased 2 pellet grills. If you are looking for something that produces pretty darn good BBQ and is easy to operate consider a pellet smoker. Pit Boss makes some affordable models that are upright so similar to what you have been using. They also sell electric and gas models.

image.thumb.png.057fb78e05de982b61725f1cd9a3a7fc.png