• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Megan And Dottie

Driftless

Yesterday I was up early at about 5:00 sitting in my recliner in the dark and thinking about the year that had passed. I thought about all the people that had gone away in 2020 and the couple that left in late 2019. I remember visiting a couple in the middle of December last year and at the end of our visit they revealed to me that the husband had cancer and he was terminal.

I have visited the wife in 2020 a couple times and she seemed to be doing well on her own. It was obvious to me she valued her independence and was still doing well so it was really hard to feel sorry for her when I visited her.

I wanted to visit her and maybe take a Christmas present to her. Barb told me that she was so independent that it might not go over well. I thought about taking her groceries I thought about just visiting.

We finally put our heads together and decided that maybe I should take her a big bag of dog food for her  outdoor dogs that I love to pet. I've been there enough time in 2020 that both of the dogs Megan and Dottie met me at the car.

Their master came out of the house and greeted me and we talked about how she was doing and how her dogs were and how she was handling being alone. She seemed so strong and I smiled inside because of it. She welcomed my gift of a big bag of dog food and we talked for a while yet and I told her Merry Christmas and I bid her adieu and good luck for 2021. I petted Megan and Dottie one more time and got into my car and drove away.

My first time I met the dogs I talked to their dad and he told me their names were Stinky and Dottie.

When I went to the house to meet their mom I made the mistake of calling the one dog stinky. Her husband smiled and told me that her real name was Megan and that their mom did not like him calling her stinky.

She told me that the dog had such a beautiful name and it was called Megan.

Yesterday when the dogs met me at the car I went down on my knee and called them and they both came up to me and I patted them. I smirked and thought about their dad and the nickname of Megan as being stinky.

I rubbed her and petted her and Dottie and scratched Stinky's ears and called her stinky just before I left. I thought to myself that she hadn't been called that nickname for almost a year and might want to hear it again. I was right..... she lit up when she heard the word stinky. Dogs are such loyal creatures and humans can learn from them about unconditional love.

12 hours ago, Driftless said:

Yesterday I was up early at about 5:00 sitting in my recliner in the dark and thinking about the year that had passed. I thought about all the people that had gone away in 2020 and the couple that left in late 2019. I remember visiting a couple in the middle of December last year and at the end of our visit they revealed to me that the husband had cancer and he was terminal.

I have visited the wife in 2020 a couple times and she seemed to be doing well on her own. It was obvious to me she valued her independence and was still doing well so it was really hard to feel sorry for her when I visited her.

I wanted to visit her and maybe take a Christmas present to her. Barb told me that she was so independent that it might not go over well. I thought about taking her groceries I thought about just visiting.

We finally put our heads together and decided that maybe I should take her a big bag of dog food for her  outdoor dogs that I love to pet. I've been there enough time in 2020 that both of the dogs Megan and Dottie met me at the car.

Their master came out of the house and greeted me and we talked about how she was doing and how her dogs were and how she was handling being alone. She seemed so strong and I smiled inside because of it. She welcomed my gift of a big bag of dog food and we talked for a while yet and I told her Merry Christmas and I bid her adieu and good luck for 2021. I petted Megan and Dottie one more time and got into my car and drove away.

Great reflections Len. 

I'm sure when folks lose someone it's hard to go on but they have to do their best. Like my mother in law when my father in law passed away.  Strong willed woman. I think they like the company, they just don't want people feeling sorry for them, all the time.  Keep up the visits as a friend, so she doesn't feel like your there just to check up on her and give her sympathy.  ?