• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used ATV recomendations

jbell1981

I've never owned an ATV and ridden very few. I am looking to get a used machine for my hunting property. It will be mainly used for food plot creation and maintenance as well as some snow plowing. Any recommendations or things to look for?

what's your budget?

any of the newer machines in the last 10yrs will be reliable regardless of brand. get power steering if you can swing it 

I am actually shopping hard right now myself. Looking to spend $5k to $7500 but prices are crazy right now. If I go any higher I might as well get a SxS. New prices are ridiculous for both. 

I am just looking for that low mileage machine that someone never used and wants to get rid of. They are out there someone just keeps gets to them before I do.

Its hard to say, 1k miles in mud and beaten on could be worse than a well maintained machine with 5k that saw easy use.

I always look at the seat,  the exhaust pipe and tires. If the seat is worn, has holes etc it been ridden hard. If you can still read the logo and it doesn't have any rips or tears that says a lot.  If the exhaust header pipe and muffler is rusty its seen a lot of mud and water. If the tires are not OEM it had the original tires worn off. What did they replace them with and why? If they replaced it with big mud tires they rode in mud etc. Talk to the owner, make sure they kept up on maintenance. You will get a good feel for how it was used. Old man that just checked fields and livestock but high miles or young guy that mud rode with his buddies etc.

For under $5k I would just suggest looking for a machine  with EFI thats shaft drive . Carbs are great and most have pull start as a back up but I would have a hard time trusting an old carb unless your not afraid to dive into one yourself. Stay away from anything with chains and sprockets. They were unreliable and I wouldn't buy a one new off the showroom floor.

Mileage can be relative.....my last wheeler had 10,000+ miles on it and I sold it to a friend. He is still riding it with over 13,000. Since that time I have put over 6000 on my current one. I was going to update this year but decided against it since they are so hard to come by right now. (and I still love this one)  I am admittedly a diehard Honda owner and have never and likely wouldn’t shop for anything else. I’ve had 13 different ATVs in the 44 years I’ve owned them and to this day not one has ever had a warranty visit. I think that speaks volumes.  I don’t baby my machine, it’s seen it’s share of mud ? but I maintain it well. I’d have no hesitation to take it anywhere, or sell it to a friend. Rundrave gave you some good sound advice for shopping, but don’t let mileage be your main determining factor. Well-maintained is better than low miles in many cases.  I do repairs on ATVs for friends, relatives etc, and aside from general appearance , the main things that I’d watch for on older machines is loose or noisy wheel bearings, brakes that don’t work well or drag, cv axles and boots and seals. Look at fluids, especially front and rear differentials, engine oil and antifreeze if it’s a liquid cooled machine. As far as tires, meh, I personally pulled off my new stock ones and replaced them before it had even been out of the garage, so the stock ones are like brand new. People replace them for all sorts of reasons including where they ride and what they use it for. 

6 hours ago, jbell1981 said:

Under 5K. Looking at the list of Craig, that puts me in late 90's early 2000's machine for the most part with a few newer in that range. 

What is considered high miles for an ATV? Most I see are in the 2000 range. 

C/List is dying with not that many wheelers or sleds posted as there use to be. I know some folks don't want to get on Facebook, but Facebook Market place is the site to look on now. Tons of them listed. You could join, look for what you want, then get off before the relatives find out!  Lol

I picked up a 2009 Polaris Sportsman 500HO almost spotless with only about 450 miles on it last fall for $3500. It does take some digging and price wrangling, I looked at a few before I found this one. He wanted $3,800 for it.

Good Luck.

20200816_103407.jpg

Edited by leech~~

On C/list now post 2hrs ago.  That will plow some food plots for yeah. Talk um down a bit. ?

Polaris Sportsman 6x6- ONLY 500 miles - $4,500

Registration card in hand and ready to go .

2005 Polaris sportsman 6x6. 500 cc. Runs great , carb just gone through , spark plug replaced. Brand new battery. ONLY 500 original miles . Comes with plow and winch .

image.png.d3880c70302512cba1e63568ebcf44d2.png

image.png.9fc5bf542151c6ab7e928b344ca2ba9f.png

Edited by leech~~