• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Secrets to cold smoking

minky

3 hours ago, minky said:

Are there any good books, websites or forums for cold smoking? Any basic tips or info? I am trying cold smoking a chunk of rainbow trout today (around 140 degrees), Thanks minky

What kind of smoker are you using?

My rainbow trout turned out pretty good. My smoke time was just under 3 hours. I ended up finishing it off in the oven. The fish had a nice smoke taste to it. I used apple chunks. I want to use alder next time.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:11 AM, minky said:

Are there any good books, websites or forums for cold smoking? Any basic tips or info? I am trying cold smoking a chunk of rainbow trout today (around 140 degrees), Thanks minky

To cold smoke you really need to keep the temperature under 90 degrees. This is pretty hard even when you use an AMNPS tray or tube in a smoker chamber. It can be done by putting a pan of ice  between the AMNPS an what you are smoking, or by leaving the door of the smoker open a bit to let out the heat. The best solution is to make something similar to the mailbox mod, or buying a smoke generator. The attached photo is what I made (similar to the mailbox mod) to attach to my Pit Barrel cooker. I made it out of an old aluminum roaster with a couple aluminum elbows. It generates light blue smoke with no heat. I don’t smoke much fish, mostly bellies, cheese, eggs, etc. as for the cold smoking resources, just Google cold smoking and you will get all the information you need. 

7C650F43-0393-4320-899C-7CFDC2294576.jpeg

3513F449-82EE-404F-B951-4B21628275C4.jpeg

D3AE6861-1A16-4868-A1A1-D1E55D69207B.jpeg