• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ibuprofen Scare

hugonian1

Our 3 year old chocolate lab got ahold of a bottle of ibuprofen. She had chewed the top off and was running around with it in her mouth. The bottle still had quite a few capsules in it. I looked in her mouth and could see a couple of decinigrated capsules back on her tongue. She typically is not one to swallow things but likes to hold things in her mouth. We were able to get her to vomit and could not see any sign of the pills. She was acting normal  high energy   etc. So we were hoping she had not ingested any. The regular vets were closed.  About an hour later she thru up again and it was very dark. We called the 24 hour emergency animal hospital in Oakdale and they said to get her in. 

The place was crazy busy but they took her right in.

She ended up 3 days in the dog "icu" pushing fluids thru her to flush her out.

She has had a couple of follow up  blood tests which have been normal.

They do not think she swallowed much.

Maybe just some of what she was holding in her.mouth.

The vet does not think there will be any long term effects. A smaller dog would probably be dead 

I have learned a lot about how lethal ibuprofen can be to dogs and how it can affect their organs.

Amazing how many things we humans can safely ingest that are lethal to dogs.

It looks like we dodged a bullet. 

The vet did comment how labs are kind of a cash cow for them. 

About a month ago our yellow lab helped her self to a bag of candy bars. Vet said to get her to through up two to three times. She only does that kind dump when she is home alone. So she heads to her kennel when we leave now. Boy what things we go through for our dogs.

Glad things worked out for you and your lab.

scary stuff glad all is well

reminds me of the time one of my GSP's ate an entire bag of hershey kisses including the wrappers. Called the vet in a frantic and he asked if dog was acting hyper or high strung. I just laughed because its a GSP and they are always that  hyper and high strung lol. Did some hydrogen peroxide to get him to throw up as much as we could get out and then dealt with foil laced poo for a couple days lol

Dogs we dont deserve them :)

Thankfully has my dog has aged he's gotten a bit more picky about what things he steals, it used to be anything he could reach.  We've had to use the hydrogen peroxide trick more than a few times.  It got to the point that he knew he f'ed up when he saw us bring the bottle out.  The last time we used it we had brought him to my MIL's place and she left an entire chocolate layer cake on the edge of the counter to cool.  The dog ate nearly the entire thing.  No ill effects after having him throw up several times. 

He's had other notable encounters while eating hibiscus flowers off of a plant.  The flowers also had several bees on them that stung him several times inside and outside his mouth.  That one required a trip to the emergency vet due to the amount of swelling and the fact we could even get him on his feet. 

One thing my wife and I did when we first got our dog was to take a class put on by a local training group.  The brought in a vet to hold a 2 hour class on basic dog health care.  A small portion was on just basic things you need to do for the dog like proper teeth brushing, vaccinations, flea and tick treatments, etc. Then about 3/4 of it was related to common toxic items and what to do after exposure and then basic first aid in the field or if you can't get to a vet right away.  It was a good class that most dog owners could benefit from.  There is a lot we can go for our dogs fairly easily with just a little bit of knowledge.

Scary stuff for sure guys, I learned quick on how much our springer of the past could handle of baby aspirin.  After a long day of chasing roosters ( at age 10 with arthritis) decided to give her an "extra" and holy moly did she vomit blood. Its 10 o'clock at night so let's just see how she does I told the wife, she did good the rest of the night but Monday the vet said that's how they gauge on what dogs can handle as far as aspirin goes.  One more thing a fella i used to hunt with tossed chocolate covered donuts to his dog alot, he said no big deal, its the good chocolate..

From what I understand on chocolate is that the fear is a bit over blown.  Yes its toxic to dogs but it would take a huge amount to do any serious harm to most dogs, we're potentially talking pounds of it needing to be ingested.  The quality of chocolate is also an important factor.  A dark baking chocolate or some sort of really dark fancy chocolate would need much less than say a Hershey chocolate bar which is mostly just sugar and milk with very low quantities of real cocoa.