• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PSA - Book Your Ice Houses Early!

Getanet

Just a friendly note to book your ice houses early this year. Spent the past week researching sleepers for my annual ice fishing trip with the buddies in January. Found quite a few places on the popular lakes (Red, LOTW, etc.) already booked up.  Not sure if they always book up this early, or if this year is special because everyone has been so cooped up, but I wouldn't wait much longer if you want to book a weekend this winter.

Yeah I am afraid with the pandemic and lots of new people resorting to outdoor activities. Are we going to see that transition to hard water also? I think its great to see people enjoying the outdoors. I just hope it doesn't turn into a zoo at every lake like it has this summer on the lakes and rivers that I have been fishing. The thundering herds could be interesting this year.

19 hours ago, Getanet said:

How is the ice fishing in SD?  I found a few places with sleepers on Bitter and Big Stone that looked interesting, but we decided we're heading to LOTW this year.

Depending on the experience that you want, there are a lot of opportunities in the Waubay/Bitter region. There are a handful of businesses w/ sleeper houses but like anywhere else - you may or may not be on fish. Using guides and fishing out of a SnoBear is starting to get to be the new trend and seems to lead to more daytime activity. Big stone will give you an active day bite for perch and bluegills, but the sizes have seemed to take a bit of the dive over the years (but there are lots of upcoming year classes on the way). Waubay and Bitter give you a little better chance and catching multiple species.

1 hour ago, Getanet said:

I did a snobear trip once with WalleyeDan up by BreezyPoint. 

Is Dan still guiding? I hope with his medical stuff recently his phone is ringing off the hook if he is still able to take clients out.

It was about 3 years ago that I went out with him, but I've seen his medical updates on Facebook. Yes, it looks like he is able to do some guiding - he's using a Benton Pontoon now - assuming it's to help with his medical stuff.