• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog food

huntnfish

I am a year in with our first dog. I have him on Iams smart puppy but he has had some bouts with loose stools. I have scoured the internet for good food and best food and all have the same types of reviews. Some good and some bad. He’s over a year now so I’m planning on switching to an adult food but I’m not sure if I should stick with Iams or not. The number of different foods available is unreal. I do know he won’t be on anything that’s grain free. I would also prefer that it’s not something that’s ridiculously expensive like some on the market but if that’s what it take for him to be healthy I’m all for it. The vet said that he uses Royal Canin for his dogs and also said that science diet was good and that he wasn’t a fan of the blue wilderness. Thanks in advance. 

He is a 70 pound chocolate lab. 

Edited by huntnfish
Specify breed.

Thanks guys. I was wondering about the diamond. I’ve looked at all kinds of reviews and they look good for diamond. I’ve talked to everyone I know with a dog and all have different opinions on food and it’s over whelming to try find something new. 

This whole dog thing is definitely a learning experience. I had a dog growing up but being young I didn’t have much to do with any discipline or training. He has been a great dog so far but I can’t seem to break him of jumping into peoples faces. Not jumping on them but more like jumping up to get his nose on their cheeks. Nothing aggressive just trying to make new friends. 

I have a 3 year old 52 lb chocolate lab that we have had on Purina Pro Plan Sport also.

This was recommended by the breeder and we have stuck with it. 

3 cups once a day.

She seems to be doing very well with it.

Lots of options though. 

7 hours ago, huntnfish said:

This whole dog thing is definitely a learning experience. I had a dog growing up but being young I didn’t have much to do with any discipline or training. He has been a great dog so far but I can’t seem to break him of jumping into peoples faces. Not jumping on them but more like jumping up to get his nose on their cheeks. Nothing aggressive just trying to make new friends. 

Knee to the chest is the only way I’ve seen that broken with any dog.  You’re exactly right, they like to get face to face socially but have to learn it’s the option of the person to bend down to them.

10 hours ago, huntnfish said:

I can’t seem to break him of jumping into peoples faces. Not jumping on them but more like jumping up to get his nose on their cheeks. Nothing aggressive just trying to make new friends. 

Does he have dew claws removed? Next time he jumps if the knee to the chest doesn't work grab both front legs and apply hard sharp pressure with the tips of your thumbs to where the dew claw were removed from. Give a firm command "Down!" as you do it and pull his legs to the ground. It wont be pleasurable for the dog and he will get the message loud and clear that jumping is not tolerated. 

As for food I agree lots of options. Like I said I didnt have any issues with Diamond. I more so switched to Purina just because I have seen how much they support the industry. Huge sponsor to pheasants forever etc. Support those that support you.

Edited by rundrave

Knee to the chest has got him to not jump up like that on me or my family. He is mainly jumping up at strangers to him. I tell people to do that and some do and he quits. I am hoping to figure out a way to stop that. I have a training collar for him but it’s never on when someone just stops by. He has not had his dew claws removed. 

I had been feeding him 1.5 cups 3 times a day but switched to 2 cups twice a day. Don’t ask why I was doing 3 times a day because I really have no idea. He seems to eat slower now with the twice a day. Not sure if that had anything to do with the loose stools either. 

Thanks for all all the help so far. 

I have to agree with @rundrave, and should’ve added to make sure you use the command “Down” so he knows this is a no-no.  Once he gets the drift Down means get down or get a knee, he’ll be hesitant to jump up on new people and you can prevent it by telling him Down before he jumps.  

Say it, then instantly follow up with the negative reinforcement if he doesn’t immediately comply.  Saying it at the same time seems less effective if not said before as a warning.