Scoot

Plans this Fall

What does everyone have going on for this fall as far as bow hunting? I have a fun fall planned.   My son and I are going to Montana on a general elk tag in September. That will be his 1st elk hunt-- I'm excited about it, and so is he. He and I also drew North Dakota any deer tags so we will hunt mule deer for a couple long weekends too. I will also chase deer in Minnesota. Finally I got lucky and drew an archery barbary sheep tag in New Mexico. Should be a fun season for sure.

What does everyone else have planned?

Heck ya!  You got some plans!  They were all sounding fun and then you throw in the Barbary sheep and go right off the charts. 😄

I tried with a group for an any deer in SD but didn’t get drawn.  Again.  5 preference points now and by the sounds of it that won’t be enough for next year either.

I got permission to bear hunt a property in the no quota area that reportedly has 3 bears living on it so I might try that my first time.

Otherwise it’s been all about waterfowling in the plans department.  In the best case scenario those plans would cover 4 states and both coasts.

Mn archery deer

A few sits with the bow over the bear bait.

Wisconsin archery deer

Posted (edited)

I'm gonna go hard from mid sept on.  Couple week break in November.  Hopefully I won't have to see if any deer are left in December.

I'll duck hunt a bit, but I'm kind of over it.  The juice just really isn't worth the squeeze.  At this point in my life, if it ain't a mallard or a wood duck, I'm probably just gonna let em land.  I have had enough schitt duck jerky for this lifetime.  I actually prefer goose over duck by a longshot.  And I really need a duck or two.  I don't have any interest in limiting out.  

Always get a fall turkey tag too.  Just in case I get a flock under the stand.

Edited by bobbymalone

as someone who predominately hunts public land. I am hoping the carry over from an extremely busy spring/summer on the lakes and rivers as a result of covid doesnt keep going into to the fields and woods this fall.

Dont get me wrong I think its great for people to take up new hobbies and its awesome seeing new people enjoying the outdoors. But around here it already gets pretty busy in areas once hunting seasons get going. It amazes some spots I drive to way off the beaten path and the amount of traffic you can see. Any significant increase is really going to make things interesting and maybe even dangerous in spots. I may be tailoring a lot of my hunting this fall and winter to late season once most of the fair weather people are done.

Its one thing to play bumper boats on a body of water or fish shoulder to shoulder on shore. But once ammo and arrows start flying I don't want to be around any sort of crowds what so ever.

I have a 5month old GSP puppy , if he is big enough for rattlesnake vaccine come September I will be hunting prairie grouse hard until pheasant opener. If the pup isn't ready I may try to harvest my first archery deer ever. I do have a private spot for that so much less  hunting pressure to worry about.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, Wanderer said:

I got permission to bear hunt a property in the no quota area that reportedly has 3 bears living on it so I might try that my first time.

Well fizzle my schizzle... da farm is across the road from the no quota area.  Bummer.