Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

Recommended Posts

Heck ya!  You got some plans!  They were all sounding fun and then you throw in the Barbary sheep and go right off the charts. 😄

 

I tried with a group for an any deer in SD but didn’t get drawn.  Again.  5 preference points now and by the sounds of it that won’t be enough for next year either.

 

I got permission to bear hunt a property in the no quota area that reportedly has 3 bears living on it so I might try that my first time.

 

Otherwise it’s been all about waterfowling in the plans department.  In the best case scenario those plans would cover 4 states and both coasts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna go hard from mid sept on.  Couple week break in November.  Hopefully I won't have to see if any deer are left in December.

 

I'll duck hunt a bit, but I'm kind of over it.  The juice just really isn't worth the squeeze.  At this point in my life, if it ain't a mallard or a wood duck, I'm probably just gonna let em land.  I have had enough schitt duck jerky for this lifetime.  I actually prefer goose over duck by a longshot.  And I really need a duck or two.  I don't have any interest in limiting out.  

 

Always get a fall turkey tag too.  Just in case I get a flock under the stand.

Edited by bobbymalone
Link to post
Share on other sites

as someone who predominately hunts public land. I am hoping the carry over from an extremely busy spring/summer on the lakes and rivers as a result of covid doesnt keep going into to the fields and woods this fall.

 

Dont get me wrong I think its great for people to take up new hobbies and its awesome seeing new people enjoying the outdoors. But around here it already gets pretty busy in areas once hunting seasons get going. It amazes some spots I drive to way off the beaten path and the amount of traffic you can see. Any significant increase is really going to make things interesting and maybe even dangerous in spots. I may be tailoring a lot of my hunting this fall and winter to late season once most of the fair weather people are done.

 

Its one thing to play bumper boats on a body of water or fish shoulder to shoulder on shore. But once ammo and arrows start flying I don't want to be around any sort of crowds what so ever.

 

I have a 5month old GSP puppy , if he is big enough for rattlesnake vaccine come September I will be hunting prairie grouse hard until pheasant opener. If the pup isn't ready I may try to harvest my first archery deer ever. I do have a private spot for that so much less  hunting pressure to worry about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, Wanderer said:

 

I got permission to bear hunt a property in the no quota area that reportedly has 3 bears living on it so I might try that my first time.


Well fizzle my schizzle... da farm is across the road from the no quota area.  Bummer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking ripley hunt with the old man. Ducks as Finn and love to chase them and maybe riverrat 316 too. I will hunt with gordie as well for ducks and maybe grouse. 
ruffed grouse in the arrowhead with the dog.

rifle deer hunting with the family. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel in love with it when I was in the shop a few weeks back shooting a few different bows.  They had the Nock On EVO with black riser and sitka limbs in stock so they cut me a deal on that one and offered it at the same price as the NXT version that I would have had to order and wait for.  I have it at the shop now waiting for when I have a few more minutes to go back and pick out the accessories.  Hope to get back next week after I get back from vacation.  Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Can't believe the season starts in less than 2 weeks.

 

I've been so busy with work and projects at home that I've only had the chance to get the new bow out three times.  Finally got it fully sighted in today but haven't been entirely happy with my groupings.  Been a bit inconsistent and for some reason shooting better at 30 yards than 20 yards.  The new bow fits much differently than the old bow, by that I mean the new bow actually fits me but I think the change is taking me some time to get used to.  I also need to build up some strength yet.  I have a bad shoulder so strength tends to be a big issue and the more I work on it the better I shoot.  I just started doubling down on my physical therapy program so hoping to get the strength up to where I want it. 

 

Still need to shoot my broadheads to see if I need to do any tuning.

 

Hoping to sneak out opening weekend but time will tell.  Some stuff popping up at home that I'm going to have to deal with so I'll have to see how that goes.  Might need to be closer to home to lend a hand. 

 

Hope everyone else is dialed in and shooting straight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2020 at 9:50 PM, monstermoose78 said:

Thinking ripley hunt with the old man. Ducks as Finn and love to chase them and maybe riverrat 316 too. I will hunt with gordie as well for ducks and maybe grouse. 
ruffed grouse in the arrowhead with the dog.

rifle deer hunting with the family. 

That old dog gordie still around?? I miss that guy on here. Say hi to him from Glenn. Last time I seen him was when he was helping sell bait on a fishing tournament our union sponsored 

Edited by smurfy
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Can't believe the season starts in less than 2 weeks.

 

I've been so busy with work and projects at home that I've only had the chance to get the new bow out three times.  Finally got it fully sighted in today but haven't been entirely happy with my groupings.  Been a bit inconsistent and for some reason shooting better at 30 yards than 20 yards.  The new bow fits much differently than the old bow, by that I mean the new bow actually fits me but I think the change is taking me some time to get used to.  I also need to build up some strength yet.  I have a bad shoulder so strength tends to be a big issue and the more I work on it the better I shoot.  I just started doubling down on my physical therapy program so hoping to get the strength up to where I want it. 

 

Still need to shoot my broadheads to see if I need to do any tuning.

 

Hoping to sneak out opening weekend but time will tell.  Some stuff popping up at home that I'm going to have to deal with so I'll have to see how that goes.  Might need to be closer to home to lend a hand. 

 

Hope everyone else is dialed in and shooting straight. 


Congrats on the new bow!  
 

Did you get new arrows or change your draw weight?  Other than tuning I’m wondering if the spine and weight are right for your new set up if you’re having worse groups at 20 yards then 30.  What draw weight are you set at?  If it helps your shoulder, can you lower it a bit?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I upped the draw weight from 54 lbs up to just under 60 and its an all new set up with new arrows as well. My draw length is 30.5 and i'm shooting arrows spined at 350. I do have 400 spined arrows as well that I can test out.

 

Ive thought about dropping the weight a touch but I'd like to keep it where its at for hunting. Drawing the bow isn't real hard just impacts how many arrows I can shoot in a session before getting tired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 9:10 AM, nofishfisherman said:

I upped the draw weight from 54 lbs up to just under 60 and its an all new set up with new arrows as well. My draw length is 30.5 and i'm shooting arrows spined at 350. I do have 400 spined arrows as well that I can test out.

 

Ive thought about dropping the weight a touch but I'd like to keep it where its at for hunting. Drawing the bow isn't real hard just impacts how many arrows I can shoot in a session before getting tired.

 

I'd spine up to 300 before going with a weaker 400 twizzler.

 

 

Check out The Ranch Fairy on Youtube.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

 

I'd spine up to 300 before going with a weaker 400 twizzler.

 

 

Check out The Ranch Fairy on Youtube.  

 

 

I follow Ranch Fairy of Instagram but haven't gone too far down the rabbit hole of tuning just yet.

 

I was out shooting yesterday and was shooting considerably better at 20, 25, and 30 yards.  Had a flyer here or there but was grouping nicely at all distances.  The only change I made was I removed the stabilizer.  Normally I hunt with one on the old bow but the balance feels better without it on the new bow and the results improved without it. I'll see if the results stay good over the next few sessions before I start broadhead tuning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting pumped up.

Agree with bobbymalone about the early season bugs. The cool Temps seemed to have knocked them down quite a bit. 

Will be putting a lot of stand time in down on our Buffalo County Wisc. lease.

Will hunt north metro to as time permits.

Last 2 years have been pretty rough with some serious health issues. 

Thankfully that is behind me and looking forward to enjoying fall as it is meant to be.

Goes to fast though.

Stay safe out there.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your adversity Scoot. You certainly do have your priorities right. Ryan will learn some great life lessons from these situations. Sometimes life just gets in the way of our best laid plans.

I learned this personally the last 2 years. Had all kinds of plans.

Then diagnosed with 2 cancers.

Had to cancel a long planned first western hunt. Montana archery elk. Made it a goal to do that trip the next year which was last year. I fought and worked like hell to make that happen and it did. The goal was to get up on a Montana mountain top and hear a bull elk bugle.  Happened the first morning.

Very emotional time.

Didn't have to kill anything to fulfill a dream.

All is well now and looking forward to a healthy fall.

Hopefully you and Ryan will be back in the field shortly and be able to look back with an extra sense of appreciation and strength.

As you know, cancer sucks. 

Wishing your father healing and blessings for you all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes indeed, cancer sucks.  I'm glad to hear you were able to make those dreams come true, Hugo.  Nothing better than an elk bugle in the cool, crisp mountain air.  I love it.  I hope you sty healthy and have a great fall.  Thank you very much for the well wishes.

Scott

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.