• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minn Kota 55T Transom mount trolling motor issues

Big Dave2

Got a used trolling motor from a fiend of mine's son. He told me it worked before I bought it but it does not. Tested all the electrical components in the head of the unit and everything seems to test fine so I took the motor apart and there was a lot of corrosion and the brushes were stuck. I took out the brush plate and sanded down the brushes to get them working smoothly again.

That's when I noticed this at the end of the motor shaft. I assume it is supposed to be a bearing but it is seized tight. 

My question is.....is this a bearing? If so, do I need a bearing puller to replace it or how do you do it?

trolling motor.jpg

Is that a 5 speed or variable speed drive?  

I know, that doesn’t answer your question but I have a new lower unit for a 12.volt 5 speed you can have to use for parts or put it all back tougher and run as new.

I personally think what you’re in for there won’t be worth your effort.

1 minute ago, Wanderer said:

Is that a 5 speed or variable speed drive?  

I know, that doesn’t answer your question but I have a new lower unit for a 12.volt 5 speed you can have to use for parts or put it all back tougher and run as new.

I personally think what you’re in for there won’t be worth your effort.

It is variable speed.

Thanks for the advise. If it's too much of a big deal I see I can buy a whole new armature for around $80, possibly cheaper. Maybe that would be the route to go?

That actually looks like one of the seals to me.  It doesn't make sense to have a bearing there.  It should slide right off if I remember right. It's been a while.

There are exploded parts diagrams all over the internet.

I tend to agree that if it's all rusted up inside there you might be wasting your time.

Edited by bobbymalone

1 hour ago, bobbymalone said:

That actually looks like one of the seals to me.  It doesn't make sense to have a bearing there.  It should slide right off if I remember right. It's been a while.

There are exploded parts diagrams all over the internet.

I tend to agree that if it's all rusted up inside there you might be wasting your time.

It doesn't appear that the armature is corroded at all but the brushes were corroded enough to make them stick and the end of that shaft is pretty scummy. If that is a bearing it is seized tight.

Oh I thought the armature was toast.  Yeah I'd maybe sink $25 bucks at it.

This isn't your t motor but I think they are all pretty much the same down there.

I realize after looking again I thought that was the back end of the armature.  I think that is a bearing.  Deep creep and some tapping.  

minn kota endura 30.jpg

Edited by bobbymalone