• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoker or Pellet grill

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

interesting I am usually around 400 for red meat. 

if that is your cooking temp then yes way less smoke flavor..  I generally start out at 150 or 160 and go up from there after a certain amount of time..  Dave said it well...

i now have owned my Traeger for 3 months and can say that it certainly makes food taste better!  My pork butts are better, chicken legs juicier, burgers so good my youngest now eats them!  In fact, now whenever I cook on the Traeger, my youngest will eat whatever we cook as he calls it all Traeger meat!! ?  They are a pain to have to vacuum out and make sure the foil is in but overall I could not be happier with the food the pellet grill cooks!  I have done brisket, burgers, steaks, pork butt, ribs, frozen pizzas, chicken legs, and everything so far is better than either my electric smoker or the propane grill.  I did purchase sear plates for the smoker to finish my burgers and sear my steaks on.  I like to use Pit Boss Competition blend pellets from Menards as they seem to have the best overall flavor!

Maybe some day I make the conversion.  You guys are good at sales! ?

I have a propane fired smoker I like but don’t always want things smoked.  Otherwise I prefer charcoal over straight propane but use propane at times out of convenience.  I just had an awesome tasty goose breast off the little propane grill but kept thinking it would’ve been awesomer over coals or wood.

Are the Treagers worth using for small projects like a single goose breast for dinner?

I'll chime in! I had a electric masterbuilt smoker for years till it stopped working. I now have a pellet grill and love it but the masterbuilt electric had a stronger smoke flavor then what i can get out of my pit boss. But overall love my pit boss.

19 hours ago, otterman91105 said:

I'll chime in! I had a electric masterbuilt smoker for years till it stopped working. I now have a pellet grill and love it but the masterbuilt electric had a stronger smoke flavor then what i can get out of my pit boss. But overall love my pit boss.

Have you tried adding a smoke tube?

image.png.3b1d48a79de32a8a1264045635d569e2.png

I second the smoke tube if wanting a more smokey flavor to your meats on a pellet grill.  I have used it a few times but my family and I have found that we like the more subtle smoke flavor from the pellet grill than with the smoke tube.    

On 10/15/2020 at 6:20 PM, Wanderer said:

Maybe some day I make the conversion.  You guys are good at sales! ?

Are the Treagers worth using for small projects like a single goose breast for dinner?

Here you go. ?

Edited by leech~~