• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoker or Pellet grill

Thinking of getting one but can't decide which way to go. Have a gas and charcoal grill. Want to add another unit to smoke meats and stuff maybe you guys can give me some insight. Looking at the Pitboss vertical series 3 smoker or a pit boss pellet grill. Maybe some pros and cons help please.

I have the green mountain brand I love it!!  and I still have my gas and charcoal grills too..  I also have propane s smoker too that I use wood chips in...  I also had a pit boss brand too and it's a good unit!!  good luck!!!   and happy cooking!!!

2 hours ago, rumeye said:

Looking at the Pitboss vertical series 3 smoker or a pit boss pellet grill.

Probably best to get both, no future regrets then. Both are easy to operate, set a temp and time like an oven.

If you are like me, I like to play with fire and have a heavy offset smoker and burn wood. I also have a 6 rack electric, couple weber kettles (you can only fit so much on one) and two weber charcoal smokers. I use them all, they are tools to use at different times of the year for different cookouts and events.

Edited by Grainbelt

8 hours ago, rumeye said:

Thinking of getting one but can't decide which way to go. Have a gas and charcoal grill. Want to add another unit to smoke meats and stuff maybe you guys can give me some insight. Looking at the Pitboss vertical series 3 smoker or a pit boss pellet grill. Maybe some pros and cons help please.

I am a fan of pellet grills, If Leech was still around he'd probably tell you all about it.

In my opinion it all depends on what you want to cook with it. For my taste, a Pitboss or Louisiana Grill are the best option. I like to be able to do as much stuff on one utensil as possible because my wife doesn't want a bunch of grills and smokers sitting around. I have a Louisiana Grill at home and an older Pitboss at my camper. The Pitboss and Louisiana Grill are made by the same company and both offer a flame broiler, searing option. That way I can smoke all the meats I want and still be able to grill things like burgers and steaks hot and fast. I use it for everything, even things I would normally cook in the oven. I really feel there is not much I can't do in my pellet grills.

2 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

?‍♀️ ?

Well, I shouldn't blame it all on her because I don't want a bunch of grills and smokers sitting around either. Used to have a gas grill, a weber and a couple of smokers at home and now only have the pellet grill. Up north we still have a weber and a pellet grill but that pellet grill is older and doesn't have the searing feature.

I have a masterbuilt smoker I use mainly for smoking fish and 4 webers (in various locations and sizes) for grilling, roasting and adding smoke flavor if wanted. At work when I cooked we had a trager pellet grill,  louisiana pellet grill and a couple of webers. Based on my past experiences and if I didn't have anything for smoking, roasting and grilling I would start with the Louisiana pellet grill.

had masterbuilt for years then got a breadley summer of 2018. really like it. never have tried pellet but hear great reports. Also have gas weber on deck.  No charcoal for many many years. smoking crappies in about 90 minutes. :)

Edited by eyeguy 54

17 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

had masterbuilt for years then got a breadley summer of 2018. really like it. never have tried pellet but hear great reports. Also have gas weber on deck.  No charcoal for many many years. smoking crappies in about 90 minutes. :)

WHAT?????? dude you need to get it togeither.?

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

breadley or bradley???? 

5 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Question on the pellet style. Does it get a lot of smoke or do the pellets supply the heat and a little smoke. I have never seen one operate. Thinking of going that way if the Weber ever dies. 

For sure not as much smoke output as a stick burner or charcoal smoker but some people don't care for heavy smoke. If you do like more smoke you can just use a smoke tube to add more smoke and also for cold smoking.

image.png.659c01ed0456d3f5cb1e0990b51189f8.png

21 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

interesting I am usually around 400 for red meat. 

Fast cooks don't usually end up with a ton of smoke no matter what kind of smoker or grill you use. You do get a nice light smokey flavor in steaks even when done hot and fast on a pellet grill. For more smoke you could try a reverse sear.