• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to smoke next

8 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

I bet it was tasty,  was that a cheese stick ? Ours usually seepes out a little too but still good. I'm gonna haveta try it with bacon tho..?

I had a brick of pepper jack and cut strips with the cheese cutter....  bacon was good on it !!  ir was my first time using both the the cheese and the bacon on and in it...  

30 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Could you use that "high temperature" cheese in a meatloaf?     

and yes I could most likely but I don't have any....  

4 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

I had a brick of pepper jack and cut strips with the cheese cutter....  bacon was good on it !!  ir was my first time using both the the cheese and the bacon on and in it...  

and yes I could most likely but I don't have any....  

Me neither.  I was wondering if it was a good idea...

The last time I made cheesy meatloaf I used baby bells in the middle and it was great. The picture I saw where I got the idea had them stacked side by side but I put them end to end. Side by side seemed like too much cheese. I don’t remember much leaking out. 

I have been smoking burgers wrapped in a strip of bacon lately and they are wonderful!  I use Mesquite wood for an hour and half.  First hour at 250 and bump up to 270 for the final half hour and they come out very tasty!!!

32 minutes ago, ozzie said:

I have been smoking burgers wrapped in a strip of bacon lately and they are wonderful!  I use Mesquite wood for an hour and half.  First hour at 250 and bump up to 270 for the final half hour and they come out very tasty!!!

sounds good, I did my first brisket the other day, it came out very tender and juicy!!  but 14 hours, that was the only part that was a pain..  but it sure tasted great!!!

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

put some taters on the smoker

might not be a bad idea! Could also wrap in bacon? Not sure who it was on here that I got that idea from @bobberineyes maybe? Someone on here always had pics of bacon wrapped taters in foil on gas grill. I supposed the same would work in the smoker just dont wrap in foil? May be on to something here...... :)

1 hour ago, rundrave said:

might not be a bad idea! Could also wrap in bacon? Not sure who it was on here that I got that idea from @bobberineyes maybe? Someone on here always had pics of bacon wrapped taters in foil on gas grill. I supposed the same would work in the smoker just dont wrap in foil? May be on to something here...... :)

yes Bobber was that one...   I have done taters for years but todays I placed cuts in them instead of just poking them with a fork...  and all came out good!!  and yes the asparagus was good smoked!!!  so I had a great lunch!!!!

On 4/5/2020 at 12:09 PM, rundrave said:

All good ideas so far keep them coming!

another thing I thought of was reverse searing a steak. I have never tried that either.

Second to sous vide, it is the way to go if you are a medium rare fan.    

I'm thinking veggies of various types would be interesting.   Cauliflower steaks.   Stuffed Peppers, Mexican street corn, Broccoli (not sure what to do with it exactly).   Summer squash/zucchini .   Onions.   Carrots.   Ethnic stuff like cactus.   Stuffed mushrooms.   Portabellas on bun.   Brussel sprouts.  Cabbage wedges.   

On 5/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, rundrave said:

Yep, been wrapping spuds for years with bacon over charcoal, I can't see why not on the smoker.  Let us know how it turns out..?

On 5/31/2020 at 7:32 AM, Mike89 said:

when I smoked some burgers yesterday I placed some sliced onions on the smoker too..  turned out good too!!!  next time I do that I take some of them apart so they smoke even more!!

I like to take a medium onion and slice it in half and then take a little off the bottom so that it sits on the grill. Then a pat of butter and some seasoning. They are great with burgers and steaks. 

tomorrow I will be smoking 2 chunks of boneless pork loin that I have marinating in apple cider over night...  today will be boneless pork chops on the grill!!!!  oiled up with course salt and pepper!!  

decided to hard biol some cackle berries so as to smoke them too..  going to cut some in 1/2 to see how that works...  I remember someone on here doing that but remember how they turned out for them...