• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Random Daily Pics

On 4/25/2022 at 4:48 PM, chaffmj said:

From its location and all limbs attached I would call this one roadkill! It also looks like someone was feeding it corn.

DSC07054_(2).thumb.jpg.58f6e66cfff4f812fbbbf83605c70739.jpg

Back to nature it goes.

Your comment makes me curious if deer have the same problems digesting corn this time of year as they do in early and mid winter.  And in an area where corn doesn’t make up Any regular part of their diet. 🤔

Just had a conversation this morning where we’re hearing farmers talk about finding dead deer out in their corn fields since they’ve been able to finally get out.

“Been gorging on corn and killing themselves”

”Same thing will happen to cows if you let them.  You have to moderate what they can eat or they get sick.”

Deer are everywhere up here eating anything they can find. They have been coming in my yard and are eating any vegetation that isn't still covered by snow. Here is a pic from 3 days ago and I'm not sure what it was trying to eat there.  Maybe dead leaves from last fall?

20220425_(3).thumb.jpg.3bf1e1699c9c7313d7dacfc2516398b2.jpg

1 hour ago, chaffmj said:

Deer are everywhere up here eating anything they can find. They have been coming in my yard and are eating any vegetation that isn't still covered by snow. Here is a pic from 3 days ago and I'm not sure what it was trying to eat there.  Maybe dead leaves from last fall?

20220425_(3).thumb.jpg.3bf1e1699c9c7313d7dacfc2516398b2.jpg

Dang, ribs showing not good! 😕

11 hours ago, Duffman said:

Is this where I go "Screw what those farmers and professional's say, I'm still putting out that corn."?

Stopping the corn feeding is catching on about as fast as catch and release fishing did in the 90’s.  Bird feeding and bird flu are a little bit behind that.

1 hour ago, bobbymalone said:

Pretty sure in the natural order of things deer are supposed to be scrawny in the early spring.

True that.  And others to be fat in the spring! 😏

OIPSMMGX9R6.jpg

13 hours ago, Duffman said:

Is this where I go "Screw what those farmers and professional's say, I'm still putting out that corn."?

Kind of, just tell the farmers to stop planting corn end row to end row,  leave some native habitat and stop tiling everything and removing all the tree groves 😋

2 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

I've seen a hen wood duck and a ganser fly in and out of my duck house but I think the ganser won.  

PXL_20220429_010204947.jpg

How are you getting the shot.  Ceil phone in the hole or box cam?  

8 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

Cell phone in the hole

Wasn't there some dispute between the Woody and Ganser last year?  Or something that cleaned out of the Woodys eggs and she had to start all over?  

Edited by leech~~

4 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Wasn't there some dispute between the Woody and Ganser last year?  Or something that cleaned out of the Woodys eggs and she had to start all over?  

I think that was somebody else that was worried their house got cleaned out.  I have always had a wood duck nesting, but I think she's usually got a few kids that grow up to be mergansers.  The gansers always check it out.

I checked again a bit ago and think maybe this ganser is gonna have a baby wood duck.

Last year I had two wood ducks in the same nest and like 40 eggs.

PXL_20220429_190633320.jpg