• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Random Daily Pics

2 hours ago, Canon Guy said:

They may have plans to move the access after they build the new pavilion area. 

screen-shot-2021-04-23-at-80252-am.png

When is that planned to happen?  Sometimes I wish I’d go back to all the old haunts to see how they’ve changed.  Been back to a few with mixed feelings on their evolution.  I felt the difficult access helped keep that fishery strong.

The last time I was there we came close to getting into a battle with some “people” on the dock who kept an illegal muskie.  My buddy (you know the one) called them out on it and things escalated pretty quick.  I was just re-tying a Carolina rig but had to tell him to shut up and spin the boat out of there when gun play was threatened and the guy’s wife rushed over and got in the middle to calm the dude down.  It got pretty intense.  Unforgettable moment.  Otherwise all great memories down there.

On 6/2/2021 at 12:00 AM, bobbymalone said:

Score another one for Vermilion

My buddy took out a 150k sonar boom rig on Vermillion mapping it in the Garmin Boat. So.......could be worse. :)

7 hours ago, Wanderer said:

When is that planned to happen?  Sometimes I wish I’d go back to all the old haunts to see how they’ve changed.  Been back to a few with mixed feelings on their evolution.  I felt the difficult access helped keep that fishery strong.

The last time I was there we came close to getting into a battle with some “people” on the dock who kept an illegal muskie.  My buddy (you know the one) called them out on it and things escalated pretty quick.  I was just re-tying a Carolina rig but had to tell him to shut up and spin the boat out of there when gun play was threatened and the guy’s wife rushed over and got in the middle to calm the dude down.  It got pretty intense.  Unforgettable moment.  Otherwise all great memories down there.

The old pavilion burned down two   years ago, and they just this spring approved the plans. Building starts next year with expected completion in 2023.

The access was improved over the last twenty years, but it is located next to the busiest intersection around that chain of lakes. There are a lot of very rigs going in and out the access. I just read that they will be moving the access and sailing club somewhere else on the lake. The sailing club sometimes was the most annoying part for me. Some seemed to think the access was there just for them.

I think there always have been some people fishing the shore or docks that play by their own rules, and they hope people are not looking or don't know the regulations. Never worth too much tension. Of course when you see something it is good to say something, but you know immediately whether they have made an honest mistake or if they are intentionally cheating, and if it is the latter anything else you save could likely go sideways

2 hours ago, Canon Guy said:

you know immediately whether they have made an honest mistake or if they are intentionally cheating, and if it is the latter anything else you save could likely go sideways

How, cuz you asked them to count their 50 sunnies in English?  ?

6 hours ago, Canon Guy said:

I think there always have been some people fishing the shore or docks that play by their own rules, and they hope people are not looking or don't know the regulations. Never worth too much tension. Of course when you see something it is good to say something, but you know immediately whether they have made an honest mistake or if they are intentionally cheating, and if it is the latter anything else you save could likely go sideways

Thanks for the recap on the pavilion.

In the case of the people I mentioned, they knew exactly what they were doing.  They continued to deny it was a muskie but after knifing it they wrapped it in a towel and wouldn’t show it to us.  Kept saying it was a northern.  We watched entire catch happen; it was 100% a muskie.  Off to the trunk of the car it went.  That’s when my buddy lost it.

51 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I thought we we’re painting pics with the stories. ?

The city lakes change so much from year to year. Water levels change so much so quickly from runoff. Water clarity and depth alters the weed beds a ton. Spots completely disappear some years. And that's without the clandestine chemical weed  removal that I've discussed with other regulars out there.  GPS'd weed lines that just completely disappear.

Boat access will always be a pain.

Had a good system down but needed a partner.

I gave that up 10 years ago.

So much easier after I got the solo canoe, literally on the water in under 20 minutes of turning off my monitor's at my desk.

There will always be boats out there, but the serious kayak guys have kinda moved in.

There's more competition these days, knowledgeable guys.

The shore and dock guys don't do a ton of damage, most of the bass and muskie guys let em go. And I've witnessed the C&R thing catch on with the latest generations of Hmong.

They'll always be ebb and flows from year to year, but the fishery remains strong.

The sailboat dudes at the access were the worst.

This is where you pull up rocking out in your truck, to let all the dumb walkers, joggers, bikers know........that you are putting your boat in..........heads up.  :)

Edited by Duffman

20 hours ago, Duffman said:

The city lakes change so much from year to year. Water levels change so much so quickly from runoff. Water clarity and depth alters the weed beds a ton. Spots completely disappear some years. And that's without the clandestine chemical weed  removal that I've discussed with other regulars out there.  GPS'd weed lines that just completely disappear.

Boat access will always be a pain.

Had a good system down but needed a partner.

I gave that up 10 years ago.

So much easier after I got the solo canoe, literally on the water in under 20 minutes of turning off my monitor's at my desk.

There will always be boats out there, but the serious kayak guys have kinda moved in.

There's more competition these days, knowledgeable guys.

The shore and dock guys don't do a ton of damage, most of the bass and muskie guys let em go. And I've witnessed the C&R thing catch on with the latest generations of Hmong.

They'll always be ebb and flows from year to year, but the fishery remains strong.

The sailboat dudes at the access were the worst.

This is where you pull up rocking out in your truck, to let all the dumb walkers, joggers, bikers know........that you are putting your boat in..........heads up.  :)

Those are some nice kayak set ups on the lakes, but not enough room for me. In the 80's I bought a 12' Crestliner to use only on the chain of lakes, added a good size trolling motor and some electronics and it worked well for me. I last used it in 2000, but kept it around until three years ago just in case I decided to try the lake again. I felt fortunate to live so close to a lake in the city that would produce very large bass, walleyes up to 30" and good size northerns and tiger muskies. I did not fish for muskies but caught quite a few. On the average I could leave my house, drop the boat in the lake, park and be on the water in 30 minutes. Usually it was the traffic getting there that was the delay. Definitely the biggest pain was the sailboat people. It will be interesting to see where they put the new access, but I think it will remain on the north side of the lake.

Even though you know it happens, I don't remember witnessing any blatant attempts to break regulations. I certainly never spent any time worrying about how many 6" sunnies or crappies a first generation immigrant had in their bucket. I fished the city lakes for years without ever keeping a fish.

I fished the lake for many years before the milfoil appeared. It was a much more enjoyable lake to fish prior to that.

Looks like this guy is set up for some video.

spacer.png

Edited by Canon Guy